DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonderin' if anyone has seen ignition coil packs for the 3.5 go a little funky at times. My 'Corde has a random twitch at idle and under load at highway speed, not hard enough to be considered a full miss, but I noticed my lights flicker slightly whenever it happens. I'm trying to chase down the problem myself before I bring it in to the dealer. So far my only two ideas are a bad coil pack or maybe a flaky voltage regulator. It gets worse when the car is warmed up, and if I shut the engine off the power is perfectly fine. Anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I got a stickey injector that does that. It goes in moods, and generally likes non-ethanaol mixed gas..,.. but it is moody

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could be a component in there breaking down. Sounds like something wrong with the ignition though. For a simple test, pull one of your plugs, and check the spark, when the car is cold. It should be a blue color. Then get the car warmed up, and check it again, if the spark is still blue, no problem, if the spark is brownish compared to the first test, then something is breaking down. Just be careful when pulling the plug the second time, it will be hot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Under the hood of my girlfriends intrepid is foreign territory to me (93 3.5) I spend most of my time under the hood of my camaro. I did the whole spark test and found out I'm not getting one. Coil packs bad, where are they located? Thanks

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
umm... right next to the airbox, under the intake tube. it is easy to replace

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Are those coil packs expensive? And Lafrad, could you explain how to replace a coil pack?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyware from $70 to 90 depending on what kind you get. All you have to do is remove the intake tube, pull the wires off the coil and unbolt it. Be sure to label your wires so you know where to put them back.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a used one I'll give ya for 30 bucks....I thought mine had gone, but it turned out to be the intake manifold gaskets, but I had already replaced the coil pack.

It may not be the coil pack however, could be the plug wires......or the plug...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
yea.. coil pack: remove intake tube, remove spark plug wires, remove sending plug, unbolt old coil pack. reinstall in reverse order

1 - 10 of 10 Posts