DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the gas station the other day and noticed that there was a sticker on the inside of the fuel door that said "do not top off fuel" or something like that and I was wondering why. :confused: I dont see how it would be bad for the car, but then again I dont know everything

~JGarrett98

·
Registered
328 Posts
According to the manual, it’s not like the old days when the pump shut off you could top it off. I have noticed that when it does click off, the most I can get in is a few cents worth.

I don't see it doing any harm, but it may have to do with an airspace required in the tank because it pressurizes when operating. If there is no air, it can’t pressurize.

·
Registered
349 Posts
GR8WHT has a point, but I think the main reason is because gas stations absolutely hate it when you spill gasoline onto the concrete. It creates more of a hazard because I've seen so many people smoke while they pump their gas and leave their engine on too. I just noticed that sign on the gas cap cover yesturday, and then noticed a lable on the pump handle itself saying that it's hazardous.

Speaking of dumb things done at gas stations... I was working on my car a about a month ago and I saw a fed-ex truck stop in the middle of my street. I looked over and saw a black hose on the side of her truck dragging against the ground. When she pulled it out it was obvious it was the hose and nozzle from the gas station. First time I've ever seen that. On my way out of town, I looked over at the gas station and sure enough, I saw a missing hose and an "out of order" sign on the pump. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow...now that's funny because I now know there is another bonehead like me. My wife and I were late catching a plane when I had to stop for gas, in the rush to get gas and get to the airport on time, I somehow forgot about the hose in my car, I only went about 2 feet before I said...oh ****. It cost me about $75 on the spot.
Anybody else got a "oops, I am a bonehead" story?
Robin

·
Registered
49 Posts
What I've been told is the reason you're not supposed to top off your tank has something to do with the charcoal filter in your fuel system. Basically, if you top off your tank, the charcoal filter that's supposed to be there to collect fumes will fill with liquid fuel when it expands from your tank and back up the return line into the charcoal canister. That in turn ruins the charcoal canister, and you run into a host of emissions-related problems. My father used to top off his tank all the time. He wound up having to replace the charcoal canister in his chevy truck when he couldn't pass inspection (or was his truck throwing an SES code... can't remember) it cost him nearly $100. All because he wanted to get an extra $0.25 worth of gas in at every fill up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Luckily I've never taken off with the nozzle and hose, but I look in my mirror every now and then before I take off from the gas station because I sometimes get the feeling that I forgot something (usually my gas cap, but so far I've never even forgotten that)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
2KWK4U- wins the prize. That is the reason you never ever fill it to the top. If you do your car could stall or run rough.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've topped my car off for 4 years now... have 91k miles, and never had a problem with the fuel or canister (changed the fuel filter).

Dah dah dah duh dah duhhh (tap dancing)

·
Registered
167 Posts
A while ago when i couldn't drive yet i was at the gas station filling my moms car up and and finishes pumping. It's all paid for and we are leaving the station and my mom notices the the pump handle was still in the car. No damage caught it just in time. i felt like an idiot.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The reason 93-97 cars do not have this problem is because the charcoal canister is in a diffrent location . 98 to present cars have the canister placed lower on the gas tank and over filling the tank floods the canister .

·
Registered
40 Posts
How many times would one have to do this before one screws up their canister? In teaching my wife the finer points of car ownership (she still doesn't have a license) I showed her how to fill up the tank. In the process, she got a little over zealous and filled it a little too much (gas on concrete too much... the attendant wasn't pleased) Did she cost me $100?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts