DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we moved, i have not been able to get the laptop to pick up the wireless network from our router (Dlink624) I have updated the firmware. Made no difference. Everything was working fine before we moved house. Put it all back together and now it won't play along.

Could the Wireless part of the router have crapped itself? I can access the internet with the desktop plugged into the router with no problems.

TIA

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Wireless networks can be finicky

Check the security and encryption settings! This is the most common reason for wifi malfunctions. Also, check to see if the SSIDs are correct.

To check the laptop, go to a hotspot like Starbucks and see what happens.

Try changing the channel used on tour network, there may be interference or outright jamming.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warlord187 said:
My first guess would be your wireless card in your laptop crapped out.

Nope, i can access the net via my neighbours wireless network ;)

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hardwareguy said:
Check the security and encryption settings! This is the most common reason for wifi malfunctions. Also, check to see if the SSIDs are correct.

To check the laptop, go to a hotspot like Starbucks and see what happens.

Try changing the channel used on tour network, there may be interference or outright jamming.

I have gone through all the settings. I even reset the Router back to factory specs and reinstalled it. No Luck. Nothing changed with my setup other than the location, meaning we shifted house. I simply unplugged it all at the old place, and plugged it all back in here at the new place. Encryption settings are all correct.

I am posting from the laptop now, leaching my neighbours wireless signal, so i know there is nothing wrong with the laptop.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The router could have been damaged during the move.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've had about 3 routers die for no reason. Well.. one died when a virus swept through my network. Took down my moms computer for a day or two as well.

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i know this is gonna start a "brand" war, but ive always had good luck with linksys routers

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
wb6vpm said:
i know this is gonna start a "brand" war, but ive always had good luck with linksys routers

Yea. I always go with linksys as well. Not because Ive had good luck with them, but because they always get the highest ratings in all the magazines and in reviews online.

-Brandon

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i got it working, not sure exactly what the problem was. Some sort of setting in there. Customer support helped out, and they actually spoke english!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
DodgeyAussie said:
Well i got it working, not sure exactly what the problem was. Some sort of setting in there. Customer support helped out, and they actually spoke english!

Holy crap! They spoke english! Try calling dell! They're people are all named 'jason' and 'david' and are from India so they can BARELY speak english!

-Brandon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts