DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing alot of research on dodge engines lately but have got quite confused about everything. Can someone explain the differences in between the 3.5 engines used in many different dodge cars.When was the change from the iron to aluminium blocks and also when were the changes from SOHC to DOHC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3.5L is SOHC still while the 2.7L has been DOHC at least in our engines they have always been like that as far as I know.
Wow your completely right, thats my bad, i've been reading so much stuff that i got mixed up. Any more info about them?

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Isn't the iron to aluminum change the gen 1 (thru 1997)/gen 2 (started in 1998) 3.5 difference? They aren't the same engine - similar in some ways, but not the same.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't the iron to aluminum change the gen 1 (thru 1997)/gen 2 (started in 1998) 3.5 difference? They aren't the same engine - similar in some ways, but not the same.
I did see that somewhere but couldn't find any backup information on that, I'm also really confused because it looks like both have the same dual throttle body intake. I'm comparing the 2nd gen intrepid r/t 3.5 and a 3.5 out of a chrystler new yorker. If the iron and aluminium engines are truly so different why do they have the same or at least such similar intakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also just read that only the early model 3.5s had forged internals, but i clearly read on allpar.com that early 3.5s had cast internals while the late models had all forged, any one else want to get in on the this conversation, add info? anything?

·
Registered
452 Posts
1st gens

96mm x 81mm bore/stroke
93-94 10:1(?) comp ratio and runs on 89, iron block, aluminum heads.
95-97 9.6:1 comp ratio runs on 87, this is due to the heads cylinder chambers have a smaller area on the 93-94, enlarged to run on regular unleaded in 95-97. iron block
-all 1st gen 3.5s are non interference
-from 95 on all engines used the more open head cylinder

2nd gens

96mm x 81mm bore/stroke
9.9:1 comp ratio aluminum block/heads(iron cylinder sleeves). around 1.5mm larger intake valves with .016 more lift over 1st gen, lighter pistons, softer springs, and i hear better "computer power".
-all 2nd gens are interference

96mm x 91mm bore/stroke
10.2:1 comp ratio, the engine even continues into the late 2000's with the 4.0, a deeper crank increases stroke by 10mm, same size intake, exhaust valves as 2nd gen, but .034 more intake lift, and .018 more exhaust lift, even lighter pistons, and lighter connecting rods as well.

all engines have a forged crank

these engines are build like champions i am rebuilding a current 95 3.5 with hopes for the cash to make her a 4.0, and these things have the works!, roller tip rockers, long valve guides that extend into the port but have chamfers on the sides so they do not interfere with flow, integrated intake valves (think thats what its called) they come stock with 3 angle valve seats.

and ive only rebuilt the heads! progress is slow but sure when your doing it in school!

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I did see that somewhere but couldn't find any backup information on that, I'm also really confused because it looks like both have the same dual throttle body intake...
No. All 2nd gen LH engines (2.7, 3.2, 3.5) have single throttle bodies.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did see that somewhere but couldn't find any backup information on that, I'm also really confused because it looks like both have the same dual throttle body intake. I'm comparing the 2nd gen intrepid r/t 3.5 and a 3.5 out of a chrystler new yorker. If the iron and aluminium engines are truly so different why do they have the same or at least such similar intakes.
the 1st gen intakes are overkill, they were able to go into 2nd gen with bigger valves, lose a TB, and still gain power... i love the throttle response of my 1st gen, some have modded the 1st gen intake onto 2nd gen i believe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts