1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Don't the new World engines come out of a Hyundai plant? I faintly remember hearing that somewhere :p

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
cars always do that overseas but usually with headlights. Thats just crazy LOL..

My aunt bought one of these guys and couldnt believe that we had a grand caravan when she saw it LOL

This is the euro version of the 98 van we had a while back

Not to mention that ford has even different looking vehicles overseas..

ford focus cabrio

ford mondeo -- US contour

Ford galaxy -- US windstar???

Also notice how all of these bad boys have hid headlights, even today most us made vehicles by ford and chrysler do not have hid headlamps which were an option in europe since about 2000 on us models offered there. My aunts galaxy used e46 bosch in 2002.

Chrysler has all halogen released vehicles today except for the 300c, pacifica and viper.

Ford only has the aviator, navigator and saleens with hid as an option, some focus have the option in the US.

In any case Europe has always had the upper leg on things, especially since they are paying a lot more for their us vehicles, a new ford above sells for about 20000 pounds = 38,083 USD which is a hell of a lot more than ppl pay for a focus nowadays. I know ford has audi and other contractors that make their cars since they are identical interior and engine wise. Some ford input is obviously present but they dont compare to the US models sold in north america.

The same thing probably happened with chrysler in mexico since they are building the pt there, they probably contracted some small plant making Hyundais to prevent them from bankruptcy and took on the dodge name for the time being (probably overstock).

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
02R/T said:
Don't the new World engines come out of a Hyundai plant? I faintly remember hearing that somewhere :p
No. GEMA is a totally separate company.

While some have said that Chrylser paid $57 million in royalties to Hyundai for design work, an informed source noted that the funding for GEMA was put togther by all the partners, and that $57 million was just DCX's share of the GEMA funding. GEMA itself is a separate company from DCX, MMC, and Hyundai, and it pays royalties to external and internal partners and patent holders.

qp_20 said:
THat is too wierd. The interior even has the Hundai logo on the steering wheel. If that is for real then it definately has to be a budget auto, LOL
Usually photos like that are provided by the manufacturer, they most likely posted the wrong one.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That is what I thought, but still selling a rebadged Hundai? Europe and Japan normally get better products from all companies because of lighter restrictions. The bext exception that I can think of is the TT Supra Mk IV. We got the more powerful version because at the time Japanese auto makers had a gentlemans law that said that they would not sell a vehicle with more than 280 (i think) hp. Of course I actually think that Toyota just understated the power of that car, and all countries got the same version.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
chrysler had a share of mitisubhi,, who gave hyundai the right to there engines back in the 80's, so now i guess its payback from hyundai to chrysler,, hey over seas they do a lot of weird things with cars,, even ford is still using the falcon name,, and its a darn good looking vehicle too

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kcarlos2000 said:
Weird! But then again I remember being overseas and owning a Opel Kadet and then coming back to the states and seeing the same car labeled Pontiac LeMans.

At one point I wanted a Mercury Mekur (it was hot back then) but when I got back to the states the car did not exist.

Well they were selling the Merkur XR4Ti and Scorpio here for a short while. And the Cadillac Catera was a rebadged Opel.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
redhot04 said:
Crazy stuff... Attitude as a car name, hmmm that might explain my driving. I need to put that on my trep :)
Naww, just get some V-Tech badges or Type R and you'll be good to go.... :biggthump

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
cobra65 said:
Naww, just get some V-Tech badges or Type R and you'll be good to go.... :biggthump
LOL, i love honda talk.
vtak; the Variable Transister Accumulator Kineticiser ~ Johnny Ricer

honda calls it vtec but we all know its a bunch of BS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts