DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there !!

I have a 96 Dodge Caravan with a little annoying problem. When I drive the Caravan :driving:, it feels like I have a biiiiiiiig trailer that's kicking me, but I don't have any trailer in the back of the car !! :notify: What could cause that ??

Thanks for your help !!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,742 Posts
Sounds like maybe a misfire. Any check engine light or codes?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope ! Nothing !! I didn't check the codes, but the check engine light doesn't come on. The engine seems to running good by the way. Could it be the tranny ?? I know the reverse is begin to going, but could it be related ??

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a 96 Caravan, got over 280,000 miles out of it before it caught on fire. The only trouble I really had out of it was the transmission (3 times). One of those times it felt like what you are describing. Drop the pan and check for metal shavings. If this is your problem it will be quite obvious when you drop the pan.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hi there !!

I have a 96 Dodge Caravan with a little annoying problem. When I drive the Caravan :driving:, it feels like I have a biiiiiiiig trailer that's kicking me, but I don't have any trailer in the back of the car !! :notify: What could cause that ??

Thanks for your help !!
If it's propelling you forward when you're braking and it's when you're at about 15km/h, it's probably the tranmission dropping into first gear abruptly. When that happens, the speed of the engine is multiplied by the first gear ratio and the vehical moves forward almost like it's being pushed.

It's a common symptom Intrepid issue with a "bump shift", but in Intrepids, it's "normal".

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think those Caravans had the junk 4 speed ultradrive electronic transmissions. Think my 92 New Yorker with the 3.3 had the same. I had one die at about 78k and then after it was rebuilt, I would still sometimes get a lurching/slamming into the next gear at low speeds around 30-40 mph at times. Yeah, it kinda felt sometimes like a trailer being towed was kicking me. Don't know about yours, but my transmission used to run hot as heck. I'd pull the dipstick to check the fluid and the fluid would be so hot it was hard to touch with your fingers. I installed one of those Hayden transmission coolers. Real easy, cost about $40. Big difference. Dropped that trannsmission fluid temp down. Made the engine run a few degrees warmer because that was attached right in front of the radiator, but nothing big. I got rid of the car in 2001 with 127k and I still see it driving around my neighborhood. Has over 200k on it!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: The Check Engine light just come on. I got that code: Bad evaporator purge solenoid circuit or driver.

What is it ????

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,742 Posts
UPDATE: The Check Engine light just come on. I got that code: Bad evaporator purge solenoid circuit or driver.

What is it ????
Thats the EVAP emissions system purge valve. The solenoid is probably bad. It could be causing an internal vacuum leak if it is stuck open or is sticking.

Not sure where its located on the Caravan. It may be on the gas tank, or could be under the hood somewhere. Look on your emissions sticker under the hood and that should give you an idea of where it is.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
didnt that caravan have the 3 speed? its even worse.
`

Yes it's a 3 speed transmission !!

Thats the EVAP emissions system purge valve. The solenoid is probably bad. It could be causing an internal vacuum leak if it is stuck open or is sticking.

Not sure where its located on the Caravan. It may be on the gas tank, or could be under the hood somewhere. Look on your emissions sticker under the hood and that should give you an idea of where it is.
I forgot to mention this: When I start the van, I put it in Drive, and as soon as I hit the gaz, it chokes and stalls. I restart and all is running good. Do this valve could do this ??

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,742 Posts
I forgot to mention this: When I start the van, I put it in Drive, and as soon as I hit the gaz, it chokes and stalls. I restart and all is running good. Do this valve could do this ??
If the valve is open at the wrong time and causing a big vacuum leak, yes, but there are several other things that could do it as well. EGR could be sticking, bad temp sensor, MAP sensor, really hard to say without having the van in front of me so I can check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts