DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need a little help. My buddy is deployed and he stored his Intrepid at our house and the battery seems to be dead. The car won't start. And when I hook up battery cables the car dash comes on and the power windows will work etc... How long do you have to charge vehicle? I'd like to take the battery out but it's down below. Can someone give me some help? Thanks

·
9,861 Posts
It really depends on the charger, how long it will take. 3hrs should be long enough for most. Just make sure all the lights and such are off while its charging.

Some chargers have a jump start function as well.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
...and if you DO need to swap the battery, just remove your airbox, remove the battery holder and lift her right out. Don't worry if you have to tip it 'cause it's sealed.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
terry finley said:
Hello,

I need a little help. My buddy is deployed and he stored his Intrepid at our house and the battery seems to be dead. The car won't start. And when I hook up battery cables the car dash comes on and the power windows will work etc... How long do you have to charge vehicle? I'd like to take the battery out but it's down below. Can someone give me some help? Thanks
What year is it?

·
9,861 Posts
Re: Re: Dodge Intrepid

crombie said:
What year is it?
It's a 2nd gen. Why does it matter?

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dodge Intrepid

hypnos said:
It's a 2nd gen. Why does it matter?
Where do you see that it's a 2nd gen?
And I was just curious what yr it was.

·
Registered
457 Posts
terry finley said:
Hello,

read the part thats in bold Tonay

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Re: Re: Dodge Intrepid

thebulgd said:
read the part thats in bold Tonay
Ahhh... very well Robert.
BTW: I have no clue where the batteries are on a first gen.

·
9,861 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dodge Intrepid

crombie said:
BTW: I have no clue where the batteries are on a first gen.
This should help:

·
Registered
31 Posts
most "cheaper" chargers will take up to 12 hours to properly charge up the battery. THere are other chargers that attempt to fast charge it but I prefer the slower ones.

if it's a servicable battery I like to remove it , clean off dust/dirt off it , remove the top two inspection covers , if it's low then fill it to proper level with distilled water (has to be distilled !!! and you fill it so everything inside it is submerged , no parts should be above water), also be SURE that nothing gets inside the battery , no dust , dirt etc... or it will ruin it. Then I let it charge until it's charged up , with my charger that is about 8-12 hours and you will see it bubbling at the end, hence why I remove the top covers otherwise you're building up pressure inside and I've seen some batteries expand and end up round from too much pressure inside, I Guess they can burst as well but I've never seen that happen.

then slap the covers back on and put it back in the car...

or the easier method is to jump start the car by cables and drive it for a while , that should charge it up as well. Only problem is that if it's the battery that sat for that long then it may be dead , bring it to autozone and they will test it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts