DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 Dodge Stratus with the 2.7 engine in it... it has 100k miles on it and EXCELLENT condition....

I'm just starting to regret my purchase after reading all these horror stories about the engine... and I can't go back now because I'm locked into the loan and payments now.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
The Stratus 2.7 doesnt have as bad a rap as the Intrepid 2.7, although it is the same engine. This may just be because there are less 2.7 Stratii then Intrepids, but from my experience, the Stratus 2.7 tends to survive longer-- which also can depend on the owners' care.

Just for re-assurance, keep the oil changed, use full synthetic every 4,000 miles. Make sure the PCV system is functioning properly. This hopefully will extend the life of your 2.7, as long as its relatively healthy now.

Many ask me about engine swap possibilities for the Stratus, as of now there are none, except for installing another 2.7. Havent had a guinea pig yet to attempt a conversion to a 2.5 or 3.0 V6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the water pump? how reliable are those?

im gonna take care of the sludging problem by changing with synthetic every two months...

im just worried about that water pump... driven by the timing chain...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
With 100k, I would get the water pump checked at least, (notorious for higher-mile 2.7s in the Intrepid) and maybe the timing chain and guides. It would be worth it to replace the water pump, chain, and guides now, rather than an engine down the road. They may be ok, but for piece of mind, at least check it out.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
the 2.7 isn't nearly as bad in the stratus, because it's under a lot less stress. the 2.7 just isn't enough motor for the intrepid. my mother had a 2001 strat ES, great all-around car.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I've heard the Chrysler mecanics talk around here.........LOTS of problems with the 2.7L Intrepid, hardly any to speak of in the 2.7L Sebring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOUD98ES said:
the 2.7 isn't nearly as bad in the stratus, because it's under a lot less stress. the 2.7 just isn't enough motor for the intrepid. my mother had a 2001 strat ES, great all-around car.
until what mileage though?

I'm rolling 100k in about 200 miles.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The 2.7 in the Stratus doesn't get any where near as hot under the hood or have the stress from the heavier Intrepid... It seems to be a good engine in that car..(It isnt really a bad engine in the Intrepid, it just needs good maintenance habits.)
Keep a dilligent eye on the oil level and the coolant level, change the oil as recommended... Drive and have fun and enjoy your new ride..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The water pump is scaring me though....

I cant afford to get it changed, let alone look at it myself considering im not good with mechanical work... just looking under the hood it looks like a ***** to work on.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The intrepid is a whole 5% heavier, wow.
I have heard that the sludging in the JR is confined to the rear bank.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
32Intrepid said:
Havent had a guinea pig yet to attempt a conversion to a 2.5 or 3.0 V6.
While those 2 are the only options for this body style, I'd take a 4 cylinder over either of those. Junk motors. Had a 2.5 and had problems. Seen way too many smoking 3.0's. Unless they've made some improvements to the 3.0? Besides the 2.7L was introduced into the stratus/sebring to replace the 2.5L.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
IS300M said:
Damn Rhode Islanders and their swearing!!!
Yeah those mother ****ers from Rhode Island swear too god damn much. Not like us sons of bitches here in NY keeping our **** clean. **** yeah!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
32Intrepid said:
With 100k, I would get the water pump checked at least, (notorious for higher-mile 2.7s in the Intrepid) and maybe the timing chain and guides. It would be worth it to replace the water pump, chain, and guides now, rather than an engine down the road. They may be ok, but for piece of mind, at least check it out.
Good advice!

If there is no serious sludge, at your next oil change, put a half can of Seafoam Motor Treatment in the oil, drive it 5 miles and then chainge the oil. This will help get rid of all the sticky varnishes and sludge build up. Do this for the next 5 oil changes. After seafoam, the oil will be blacker due to the loosened up deposits, this is the intent and is normal. Use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, it seems to keep these 2.7L engines quite happy.

Serious sludging should NEVER be broken loose with ANY cleaner, the results can be disasterous. If it is all gunky (ie, lots of black goo), have a mechanic manually clean it. Have him replace any worn things while he's in there.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
froggy81500 said:
While those 2 are the only options for this body style, I'd take a 4 cylinder over either of those. Junk motors. Had a 2.5 and had problems. Seen way too many smoking 3.0's. Unless they've made some improvements to the 3.0? Besides the 2.7L was introduced into the stratus/sebring to replace the 2.5L.

If I remember right...there are a few second GEN owners who replaced the 2.7 with 3.2...would that work in the Strat/Sebring?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Scarface said:
If I remember right...there are a few second GEN owners who replaced the 2.7 with 3.2...would that work in the Strat/Sebring?
In a 2nd Gen 'Corde/Trep, yes. The 3.2L was designed for longitudinal mounting not transverse (sideways). The 2.7L on the other hand, was reworked to accomodate a transverse installation. I have a good engine rebuilder's site bookmarked showing some of the slight differences from the 2.7's. Unless the 3.2 has provisions on it to allow it to bolt up in a transverse application, like a Stratus/Sebring, then I'd have to say no, not without some modifications.

http://www.pera.org/CoreTalk/eb40430.htm

Good stuff. Some of the differences include a boss on the timing cover which allows for a transverse engine mount, something a 3.2 won't have. Also one of the cylinder heads had to be notched on the 2.7 to make it fit sideways in the Sebring/Stratus platform.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just changed my oil with Mobile-1 10w-30 and a Mobile-1 oil filter....

I dont know how I'm gonna be able to check the timing chain or water pump... it looks like a ****ing *****.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts