DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the Sebring I really want to get a 2 door coupe that looks nice. I have heard both good and bad things about the Stratus. BAD things Which include the engine having problems, suspenison whoas and so on. I have also heard that they are spectacular. I drove one and loved it. Its quick, good looking and handles extremely well and has a quiet ride. I found a real nice 2002 with only 26000 miles but if they are problematic then I going to go for a Prelude or something in the coupe category thats reliable. Any comments on the Stratus?

·
Registered
685 Posts
My sis-in-law has had on '03 for several months now....I've drove it and it's fast as hell, expectially since she put an intake and exhaust on it. Next she wants to buy my 20's off me, oneone know if my treps dubs will fit an '03 stratus, i dont see why not.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I don't know if 20's will fit on a Stratus...........19's will.......but 20's might be a bit big.

I always loved the Stratus R/T coupe........and woulda bought one if they sold them in Canada. Maybe I shoulda looked harder at a Sebring LXI coupe (same thing).

But if I had bought one of those.........I'd be kicking myself for not buying the Intrepid R/T :p

·
9,861 Posts
The coupe has the same engine has the 00+ (3rd gen. not dsm) eclipse. The 3.0L mitsu v6.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My son just bought an '02 in Chicago, and we drove it back to Kansas City last weekend. Nice car. Infinity sound system is great. 30 mpg at steady 70mph. Lots of gopower (3.0 L V-6, 5spd). Passenger seat too low; feel like you're in a hole. Pretty firm ride, but that goes with this type of car. Loves corners.
As to durability, check the clubs the others suggested. It should be pretty good, since this is basically a Mitsu with a Dodge badge.
Surely by now the valve guide problem with the 3 L Mitsu is a thing of the past!
What's the asking price? The one we got had 13,000 miles; got it for $11.9 K.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
My cousin used to have a 2001 R/T. I think it was in the shop (thankfully under warranty) more than he drove it. Lots of electrical and engine problems. Rotors warped pretty fast, even under normal driving conditions too.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went to Allen Mello Dodge and they talked me into the 4 door version with the 2.7 and 5 speed. Its such a nice car. I just dont know about the reliability. Iam not really worried because its a 2003 R/T red with black leather/suede with every possible option. ABS side airbags, and even the manual has Traction control which is unusual. It only has 11,207 miles with the remainder of the 3/36 and their(chrysler) used cars come with the 7/70 powertrain. They only want to give me 2000 for my car! Thats not bad but once again its an american car and the depreciation is terrible. I love the intrepid but I want something a little smaller with better gas mileage. They are asking 16,995 which seems alittle high. Im new at purchasing cars at dealerships because well I never have. Any tips?

·
9,861 Posts
The sedan would be a mistake if your looking for something with a decent aftermarket. Remeber that it is the intrepid 2.7L. Pretty much no aftermarket.

The mitsu 3.0 however has a pretty decent aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not really into adding the aftermarket stuff to my cars only like systems etc. I really dont mind the stock setup its a fairly quick car, probably because its a 5 speed and lighter that an intrepid. I really dont know... Im confused.....................Any way I really like both(coupe and sedan) and now I have a decision. Im getting money for graduation(3months) and that will be my down payment. I am going to need a new car for college because with the commuting hanging with friends and so on, im going to need a car with better gas mileage.The trep gets fairly good gas mileage but its getting older and things are going to start going wrong with it that are going cost me big.So i want to get a car that has a warranty and has a good rating so when the warranty is up it wont cost me more than I paid for it!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I owned a 2001 Stratus R/T coupe before I bought my Intrepid. Loved it! Was an Autostick. Quick off the line, hugged hills and corners like glue, and got respectable gas mileage, nearly 30mpg highway. Sexy design, room for four comfortably IMO. Had every option in the book, had to add a spoiler though! I only had it for a year before getting my Trep. I leased it new, BIG mistake, drove it way to much to be able to afford it. If I could have afforded it, I wouldn't have let it go. Got tons of compliments from stangers all the time too! I would definately follow the others advice and check out 2Gstratus.org. They will have all the answers to your questions!

As a bonus, here's a parting pic of my once Silver Bullet!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hey "97 Intrepid ES": Me again. My son who bought the '02 R/T coupe was interested in the Stratus R/T sedan too, so he investigated it before choosing the coupe. Here's what he said about it:
* No low end torque; hard to launch smoothly. The coupe, with the 3.0 Mitsu, has a lot of torque down low and doesn't need to have a lot of throttle to move out.
* Interior seemed much cheaper than the coupe's.
* Shifter was rubbery; coupe's is much better.
You need to heed what others are saying about resale. Statuses (Strati?) have no resale. The coupe will, because it is basically well known that it isn't a Dodge. If you want proof, go look at the resale of Avengers (Also mostly Mitsu; body by Mitsu, v-6 by Mitsu, 4 cyl by Dodge) and compare it with other Dodges of similar vintage.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Breezed, I assume the SXT Stratus you drove was a 2.7?
I'm not surprised it felt weak compared to the Intrepid (looks like you have a 3.3), because the Intrepid has a big fat piece of its torque down low where it's usable. The Stratus would catch up and pass you eventually, but it just isn't going to feel peppy under normal driving conditions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts