DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add some extra ponies to my 2.7 somebody mentioned a turbo kit but I don’t like them they are super complicated to install. I do prefer a supercharger kit I was looking on eBay but no clue . Help please.

·
Premium Member
17,732 Posts
'pparently not. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
... I can only direct you to a turbo installation for a 3.5 engine, unfortunately not a kit, but that does mean it COULD be replicated to work on a 2.7L but it's not easy or cheap.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Better chance of finding a Unicorn !

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Way!

·
Registered
5 Posts
... I can only direct you to a turbo installation for a 3.5 engine, unfortunately not a kit, but that does mean it COULD be replicated to work on a 2.7L but it's not easy or cheap.
Then tell me what should I get then I am open to suggestions, this days the word cheap does not exist on any dictionary so go ahed tell me what may work .

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Mopar used to offer a kit for the 3.5L LX cars but discontinued that after a few years. I forget who actually manufactured it for Mopar...one of the aftermarket Turbo/Supercharger companies.

Main problem with putting that kit on an LH 3.5 was the low hood height. LX has has way more vertical room in the engine compartment due to the non sloping hood height.

As I think about it more...these were Supercharger kits made by Procharger?

More Unicorns. Turbos need to be right by the exhaust stream. And getting a modified PCM to fuel a Turbo/Supercharger for the 2.7L is nonexistent. Would have to be a piggy back system...mo money.

And lastly the good ole LH 4 speed transmission would take a sheet in short order thanks to the extra HP.

·
Premium Member
17,732 Posts
You can run your car off of unicorn farts.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Rainbow Braaaapppppppp!

·
Premium Member
17,732 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Is that "Turbo" back there? LOL!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Brings back memories of BigE's My Little Pony memes!

·
Premium Member
17,732 Posts
Unicorn fart etiquette:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Then tell me what should I get then I am open to suggestions, this days the word cheap does not exist on any dictionary so go ahed tell me what may work .
Well, while some bits and pieces can be OEM, vast majority of parts 'off the shelf' will require tweaks to be made to fit or need to be custom made all together.

It is not a quick process, so plan on a lot of down time. I used a lot of used / old parts during my build, lots of trial and error for fitment of various pieces. When I swapped to my 3.5HO I had eliminated the A/C at that point (compressor clutch was damaged as was the condenser, didn't have the money at the time to purchase new) so I had a lot of space on that side of the engine bay, especially after I relocated the battery to the trunk. (See attached photo)

There are also a bunch of supporting modifications required. I pulled the OEM fuel pump and regulator and swapped just the pump itself for a new 255lph (Was a Mallory kit for a foxbody mustang, other pieces from the kit were also used) and an aeromotive rising rate adjustable regulator. I have the regulator mounted at the rear of the car on the tank do to the 'returnless' style fuel system the LH's use.

I bought my turbo used for $100, but I also pulled it off the owners car when he was swapping to a bigger single instead of OEM twin's. I then purchased a rebuild kit for another $100 and upgraded it to a 272 degree journal bearing, and replaced the shaft for another $100. It is undersized to the 3.5 but it with the wastegate closed it has almost zero lag and makes really really good midrange torque (one of my personal goals for the build). I had to cut the heater core hoses to add a tee fitting to both for coolant feed and return lines for the turbo. My 3.5 being an early generation it had an OEM oil cooler so I used that as the oil feed line to the turbo. I added an oil pressure sensor inline to the turbo so I can monitor the oil pressure. It is a low pressure return for oil from the turbo so you will need a large diameter hose running from the turbo to the oil pain which may require modification for a hose barb. Also the turbo needs to be higher than the point the oil enters the oil pan since its gravity unless you want to add a pump.

Going from running NA to running boosted took about 7 months of down time working at it after work and weekends. I have put about 85,000kms on the setup and still making tweaks and changes to it as I go as I find limiting factors, currently waiting on a new MAP sensor to arrive.

The best bet is to put down on paper what your overall goal is. And hit up some swap meets to see if you can find any used bits and pieces, boost gauges, turbos needing a rebuild, old exhaust piping and such since it's all going to depend on your what your willing to sacrifice. My overall goal is more track usage so I'm not concerned about A/C so I had plenty of space under hood. I still have to sort out mounting the intercoooler and piping but I want to get it back to 'running' first, then sort out further upgrades.

I hope this helps you to get maybe started. I've had a few things thrown at me by life recently and got busy with my second job so I haven't been posting anywhere for a bit. I have a bit more detail in my build thread here: Most recent posts and I'll try to answer any additional questions you might have.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts