DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what light bulbs are needed to replace my green dashboard lights to a neon red color to go with my car? Do you also know if I can get these at a Autozone type store is it going to be difficult to find? And last questions, is it simple to change out these lights or do you have to take the whole dash out and the gauges (sp) to get to it? I did a search and didn't find much of anything on this topic.

Thanks,
Helen

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:smiley_aa Nobody knows?? What, is it because Im red? LOL Help please! Also, does anyone have pics of their dashboard lights in red?? Would love to see!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I'd love to help but I haven't done anything like that.

But I have read of people changing the color of their dash lights and the A/C lights. I don't remember if I read about it in individual members car domain type pages or threads - probably both.

Until one of the smart guys-oops- smart members answers you might have to rely on the search feature

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
They can be changed.........you have to take the cluster or whatever you want to change out first though. Red IS hard on the eyes at night, so think about it hard before you do it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,138 Posts
I pulled a bulb from my spare cluster and it's a type 194. It's a clear bulb so that means there's an overlay under the gauge face to get the blue/green color. I verified that by shining a flashlight into the empty socket and the gauge shows up green. This means that by getting a colored bulb you're still behind a green mask. Here's a link to colored LED bulbs that fit in the stock socket. Colored LED bulbs I'm thinking that you need to change the overlay or somehow remove the colored part to get just the bulb color. Ibis what color bulbs did you use and what was the result? Your cardomain page just shows a cluster in the daylight.

·
Registered
931 Posts
because of the overlay, i had to buy white led's to make my guages show up blue. you might want to try different colors to get the red past that overlay, i dont know how successful you'll be with that color though

·
Registered
795 Posts
here is a how to by romeo to remove your gauges (go right to the last step to get at the bulbs)

If you go to that trouble... Get some Speedhut Gauges!!! imagine: red flames.... :drool:

Here are some GAUGES with just red numbers like you'd get changing bulbs

If you do go with bulbs, remember... stock bulbs are yellowish, the filim on the stock gauges are bluish = green. if you put red bulbs in they will appear purpleish, not a pure red...

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the information and help. I think I may have changed my mind looking at the red demo that DJ gave me. I have to agree...RED will be hard on the eyes as it hurt just looking at the monitor. The flames look cool though so I may have to shop around at Speedhut and see if there is anything there I like. Thanks again! I'll repost when I make up my mind and show you the finished product :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Do this...get some red tint film from autozone and cut out a a shape sorta like a U but wider...and put it on the backside of the guages...because remember only the numbers light up so that all you need to tint..before you actually stick this on their permanently cut out two or three squares and get a white LED flashlight and place 2 red tint squares on top of each other and on the guages and shine the light through from the back and see what color it is..if its still pinkish add another square or two or enough until its red then get these bulbs to get a super bright effect without sacrificing color..http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-6136.cfm

and as for it being hard on the eyes...just ride in a grandam and then decide if you like it...i dont think its any worse or better than green or blue...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts