DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies told me that if you get a ticket and the officer doesn't put he correct info on the ticket, that you don't have to pay it. My girlfriend got a ticket, and the officer put the wrong year of her truck on the ticket, also he spelled her street name wrong. Is this true?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,904 Posts
I could see if your personal information was wrong, name, soc #, etc, but I highly doubt they will let it go for a mis-spelled street and wrong year on the truck. They probably have the trucks vin # on the ticket, and this will prove it was the right truck. The mis-spelled street probably wont do anything, as your girlfriends name, street, etc on her drivers license will fix that, and will match all the other info on the ticket.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Untrue. What you probably heard is that if the officer didn't write down what happened and you went to argue, you might win since it'll be your word against the officer's, who didn't write down his word.

When I was young and dumb, I got a ticket for reckless driving. I went to argue it since I didn't think it was reckless, I was just making a quick left and my tires spun. Regardless, when I went to go argue it, the referee just said that I won and that the ticket will be dismissed. I didn't even get a chance to argue, I was just declared the winner cause the officer didn't write down what had happened in his eyes. So since it was my word against his absent word, I was innocent until proven guilty.

It really doesn't matter what the misspell, as long as they got the driver's license # right, you're stuck with it. No referee/judge in the world would let her off for a misspelling on the street name and the wrong year on the truck.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok, well thanks. idk if the license # is right or not, but thanks for the insight guys. its just a speeding ticket anyway

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I had a ticket a long time ago where the officer messed up the vehicle owner name, color or vehicle, driver's DOB and other info

I sent back a not guilty letter along with a very polite letter explaining the officers obvious mistakes and explained the hurried state he was in as he wrote the tticket

Two weeks later I get a letter back saying they dropped all charges

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
pay the ticket but pay a few bucks more than the ticket. send it in. they will issue u a refund because u paid to much. when u get police departments check in the mail DONT CASH IT. once u cash it the transaction is complete and it will go on your liscense. rip up the check. make copys of the paperwork showing your check that u sent. Photocopy everything for proof. But once u cash there check transaction is complete and then u get points. Ive done this tons of times and it works

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
stroise said:
pay the ticket but pay a few bucks more than the ticket. send it in. they will issue u a refund because u paid to much. when u get police departments check in the mail DONT CASH IT. once u cash it the transaction is complete and it will go on your liscense. rip up the check. make copys of the paperwork showing your check that u sent. Photocopy everything for proof. But once u cash there check transaction is complete and then u get points. Ive done this tons of times and it works
Maybe that worked one time on some computer system back then, but :bsflag:

SNOPES results.
Claim: Slightly overpaying the fine for a traffic ticket will keep points off of your driving record.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
thats one of the most idiotic things ive ever heard... I'd doubt you'd even get a refund for that few extra bucks.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
if it's an obvious **** up, it may work, but for street name and year of truck, it won't

·
Registered
179 Posts
stroise said:
No, this doesn't work. However, what does work, in most states, is if you pay the ticket promptly you won't be penalized any points, increasing your insurance premiums. This was probably your situation and probably why it appeared as if the transaction was still open.

gazetowardthesky said:
thats one of the most idiotic things ive ever heard... I'd doubt you'd even get a refund for that few extra bucks.
Oh, yes you will! One time I got popped in the Buckeye for excessive fuel consumption and no seat belt, I combined the fines, sent it in and a few weeks later I got a check for the dollar amount that I was assessed for failure to wear seat belt. I shoulda had that one bronzed! But, in any event, they will send back any overage and it would be in your interest to cash that check....after all, you worked for it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
stroise said:
I know that one can work in England, but I doubt it'll work in NA.
Watch "fifth gear" do we?

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
566 Posts
During my stupidity I had a 2-3 yr run where I got ticketed about 2-3 times, one of them I didn't get hit with any points at all after paying it. I do not for the life of me know why but the only thing I could think of was it happened in Staten Island NY, and I was licensed in NJ so maybe they just didn't communicate I dunno.

IF that 'theory' of paying promptly is true that also might be a possiblity, on one of my tickets I paid it the next day don't know if it was the NY one, the others I waited a week or longer, young no money.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well, will such screw-ups work in the state of VA.

On my recent ticket - my race has been mentioned as "white" and I am dont look white from any angle. LOL :grinpimp:

Time to talk to my lawyer about this!!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
kumiyer said:
Well, will such screw-ups work in the state of VA.

On my recent ticket - my race has been mentioned as "white" and I am dont look white from any angle. LOL :grinpimp:

Time to talk to my lawyer about this!!
One of my hispanic friends was laughing about the same thing because hes obviously not white so we asked a cop and the way he explained it was "unless you're black, you're white". I guess the cops encounter so many different races that they would have a hard time differentiating and they probably offend less people that way.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
my buddy got pulled over for scratching his seat belt and the cop thought he was putting it ok. Hes in court this month, the buy misspelled his last name.

I wonder if he just doesn't do anything about it, would it matter since the cop technically wrote a ticket out to someone else LOL...

We'll see what happens i guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts