DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm replacing the stereo and speakers in my 2002 Intrepid, and I've run across references to amplifiers -- under the passenger dash and/or in the trunk. Does the base SE have either of these amps? If so, are any cable kits available to bypass them? The stereo I'm installing -- a higher-end Kenwood -- will produce plenty of power. Also, I'm assuming the base model does NOT have a center speaker in the dash?
(Oops, just realized that I should have posted this in the stereo forum, but can't see any way to delete it. Apologies.)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
post is fine here.
it depende on the system installed in the car.
look in the areas to see if you have an amp.
kick plate in the passenger side would be the highest end amp yours would have, if at all.
if it did have one in the trunk, it would be obvious on the passenger side, just behind the rear wheel well.
if you have no amp, it's straight forward.
you'll have to look to be sure.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,891 Posts
No

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm replacing the stereo and speakers in my 2002 Intrepid, and I've run across references to amplifiers -- under the passenger dash and/or in the trunk. Does the base SE have either of these amps? If so, are any cable kits available to bypass them? The stereo I'm installing -- a higher-end Kenwood -- will produce plenty of power. Also, I'm assuming the base model does NOT have a center speaker in the dash?
(Oops, just realized that I should have posted this in the stereo forum, but can't see any way to delete it. Apologies.)
I have a base model 2000 dodge intrepid 2.7, I found an amp behind the little kickpanel on the front passenger side

·
Woober Goobers!
51,891 Posts
If you have an amp in the kick panel then you have the Mid-Line audio system. Base audio doesn't have a separate amp from the radio internal amp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have an amp in the kick panel then you have the Mid-Line audio system. Base audio doesn't have a separate amp from the radio internal amp.
Ok do you know how I can take the amp out and not use it but I want my stereo to still work, because I plan on getting an aftermarket subs and amp

·
Woober Goobers!
51,891 Posts
You can "bypass" the amp by removing the C1 and C2 connectors from the top of the amp. You'll then need to rewire/splice wiring between the two formerly connected amp speakers. Amp C1 connector will be mostly wiring going out to the speakers from the amp. Amp C2 will be mostly connections from the radio to the amp.

You'll need to get a wiring diagram for those two connectors along with their wire colors and splice between C1 and C2.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can "bypass" the amp by removing the C1 and C2 connectors from the top of the amp. You'll then need to rewire/splice wiring between the two formerly connected amp speakers. Amp C1 connector will be mostly wiring going out to the speakers from the amp. Amp C2 will be mostly connections from the radio to the amp.

You'll need to get a wiring diagram for those two connectors along with their wire colors and splice between C1 and C2.
I got the wiring diagram for both of those connectors, so I just basically have to splice all those wires which is a hell of alot of wires lol. Do you know if the wires connected to the amp control any other systems in the car, i.e like parking lights or horn or anything like that

·
Woober Goobers!
51,891 Posts
You asked and got a reply and solution. The only thing C1 and C2 have to do with is the Audio system. Don't cut anything in any other harnesses near those two connectors like some other Yahoos did and paid the price.

There isn't any commercial wiring adapter solution for what you want to do. Good luck and Happy Splicing !

·
Registered
48 Posts
You asked and got a reply and solution. The only thing C1 and C2 have to do with is the Audio system. Don't cut anything in any other harnesses near those two connectors like some other Yahoos did and paid the price.

There isn't any commercial wiring adapter solution for what you want to do. Good luck and Happy Splicing !
Thank you, I really appreciate your advice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts