DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know it is a stupid n00b question, but I have a bet with my dad. He thinks it is a gimmick because the "professionals" don't use it. I showed him my car (which isn't the best example for anything cosmetic) and he is still unconvinced.:banghead: He says that rubbing compound is the way to go, but I have heard that you shouldn't use it on a clear coat. I know that a couple of guys on here have 15 year old cars that look like they were built yesterday so that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
He thinks it is a gimmick because the "professionals" don't use it. I
Professionals do use it. I've used clay bars for years. In body shops and detail shops. I don't know where your pops got that from???

·
Registered
780 Posts
yup...currently working at a body shop and see the claybar used all the time and use it myself often too, the owner bought an 84' mercedes that had seen better days. I hit it with some claybar medium grade and followed up with some of that rubbing compound your pops was talking about and the microfiber cloth kept sliding off the hood it was sooooo smoooooth

·
Registered
250 Posts
claybar is awesome!
i used it on my 2004 bravada with amazing results !

damn iv never used it before on my car or any car what a shine im going to have to give it a shot. ???whats a good way to get rid of scratches???
also iv herd form the older guys at car shows that back in the day when they were my age and had their first car or what ever, that they used dex3 or just any transmission fluid on cars for a shine and wax on their cars. i asked didnt that eat the paint away they said it never did (anyone herd or may have used dex for wax and shine before?). also havnt used it or tried it yet but baby oil to give your dash a nice clean shine, and herd it works good for when you never oil and needs it i guess helps treat it a lil better than store bought shines.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Pictures don't really show what a clay bar can do. Do this. Take a car that hasn't had a clay bar treatment in a while. Wash it. Have your dad put a plastic baggie over his hand and run his hand across the paint. Then clay bar that area, and have him rub the same spot with a plastic baggie over his hand again. The difference is in the feel. Night and day.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Pictures don't really show what a clay bar can do. Do this. Take a car that hasn't had a clay bar treatment in a while. Wash it. Have your dad put a plastic baggie over his hand and run his hand across the paint. Then clay bar that area, and have him rub the same spot with a plastic baggie over his hand again. The difference is in the feel. Night and day.
x1000 :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
claybar is awesome!
i used it on my 2004 bravada with amazing results !

damn iv never used it before on my car or any car what a shine im going to have to give it a shot. ???whats a good way to get rid of scratches???
also iv herd form the older guys at car shows that back in the day when they were my age and had their first car or what ever, that they used dex3 or just any transmission fluid on cars for a shine and wax on their cars. i asked didnt that eat the paint away they said it never did (anyone herd or may have used dex for wax and shine before?). also havnt used it or tried it yet but baby oil to give your dash a nice clean shine, and herd it works good for when you never oil and needs it i guess helps treat it a lil better than store bought shines.
baby oil?
wouldnt that make your car always smell like baby oil?
idk but that would drive me crazy
i always use armor-all gel
it smells good and leaves a good shine

·
Registered
250 Posts
baby oil?
wouldnt that make your car always smell like baby oil?
idk but that would drive me crazy
i always use armor-all gel
it smells good and leaves a good shine[/QUOTE]

yeah iv thought of the smell but i guess maybe if you drove around a lil bit and let it air out it may not smell or maybe not smell as strong.
as for armor all never been a big fan of it seemed like here in the midwest my windows would fog up from it and shine didnt last that long so my dad showed me son of a gun a few years back and used it ever since.
now as for a shine on the engine and everything else under the hood black magic.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
id like to see the before/after with a white car....:).....ive really debated using a clay bar, ive got so much grim and such on my car but i guess that comes with living on a farm lol.
My car is almost black, and it shines like you wouldn't believe after a good claybar and wax.:drool:

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Clay bar removes stuck on particals by encapsulating them and carrying them away in the clay. They become imbedded upon the frequent foldings of the bar.
Rubbibg coumpound, polishing compound or scratch removal polish removes the road grime etc. as well but it does it by scratching the clear coat until the road crime comes off. It does not just scratch the grime. Its scratches everything! And in doing so.... removes precious clearcoat.

Only use rubbing compound when you have to!!!! Clearcoat is not that thick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts