DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to replace my tranny fluid with ATF +4. The garage at the end of my street, who I know does generally good work, can pump all the fluid out, drop the pan, change the filters, etc. for $170. When I told him I wanted to put +4 in, he said they had it and could do it. But, I thought that you could only get REAL +4 fluid from Chrysler dealers, since they have some sort of patent on it (I believe that's what the parts guy at my dealership told me, and I think I've read that on this site). So, can this privately owned (non-dealer affiliated) garage actually get its hands on the real stuff, or is he trying to sell me a cheap knockoff (or perhaps the guy on the phone just didn't know the difference)?

·
9,861 Posts
IceShaver511 said:
I always bought the Tranny fluid at the chrysler dealer than brought it to my mechanic.
If I had my fluid changed at a non-dealership shop, then this is exactly what I would do. Get the filter from them too. No offbrand crap. Stick with MOPAR.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ask the mechanic to show you the container so you can be sure that he's using ATF+4. Any good mechanic would be happy to do it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tempest said:
for a 170, id change that **** yourself
You can do a full flush and removal of all the tranny fluid at home without using any speical tools? How is that? I am planning on having the full flush done myself but would do it myself if I can remove all the fluid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you can buy oil pumps made for use on marine engines (from places like Overton's) and use that to pump it out. But of course you still need to get under there and take care fo the filters, etc.

The $170 includes the cost of the ATF+4, which my dealer wanted to sell to me at $110 per case (12 quarts). Considering I don't have any jackstands and it'd take me a long time to do it anyway, I'm happy to spend the (probably) $50 on labor and get it over with.

·
Registered
208 Posts
bobo said:

You can do a full flush and removal of all the tranny fluid at home without using any speical tools? How is that? I am planning on having the full flush done myself but would do it myself if I can remove all the fluid.
you take the pan off and you get covered in atf , or you pay a 30-60 dollars and buy a marine pump, i think its worth 30-60 saving to just get some atf on yourself, i would reccomend one of those oil/fluid pans that catch oil/fluid, like $20. i dont think you need anything special to remove the pan, i hear its a ***** to get to though. after your done removing all the fluid and cleaning the pan, make sure you buy a extra bottle of atf, so you can run it through before filling it back up, cleans it out a little better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For $170 I'll do it for you! Twice even! That sounds kinda steep to me. I change my own trans oil on car ramps. The secret to not getting oil all over is buy a big catch pan, take all of the bolts out except 3 around either front corner. Loosen the last 3 bolts a small amount, pry the pan loose on the oppisite corner of the remaining bolts. Once the pan is freed up, loosen the 3 bolts more to drop the oppisite side of the pan and let her drain. Keep loosening the 3 bolts as the oil flow slows until the pan is about to fall off. Once empty, remove pan and filter (cliped on). Clean it all up with brake cleaner or solvent and use either Chrysler RTV black silicone or Ultra black (great stuff!) to seal pan. Put in Chrysler ATF+4 oil with a trans oil filler funnel. Takes me an hour and a half or so. Any Haynes manual will help out with the process as far as how much to put in and how to check it after refill. Do not use a gasket on the pan, use RTV. It seals better. Chrysler glues these pans back on with this stuff so it's ok to use. Just use it in small a quantity - 3/8" bead all the way around the pan and each bolt hole. Let it set up for 20 mins or so after the pan is installed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Umm guys, you do realize that I am asking about a complete flush and refill, not just a drain and fill (as in drop the pan, replace the filter, put it back). Just doing the drain and fill only replaces about 40-50 percent of the fluid from what I have by others. Remember there is a ton of fluid still in the torque convertor and in the tranny itself that is not drained out when you just drop the pan.

That was what I was asking, is can you guys completely flush the whole system out in your home garage not just do a drain and refill?

·
Registered
208 Posts
the question is not if we can, but if your garage mechanic actually does, thats what you must decide. he could say he did, but you could never know if he actually did it or not. Most mechanics will try their best to screw a unsuspecting car owner who has no mech. experience. I think they teach scam techniques in mechanic's school or something

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just have it done at your dealer then. They usually charge $130 or less and they use the correct fluid. Unless you sit and watch the guy, you'll never really know.

I'm real sensitive about who touches my car's transmission (and any other part for that matter)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Normally I would have this done at the dealer, but they do not pump out all the fluid -- they only drop the pan. This garage I'm going to go to is one of the few places around here that would actually do both. Considering my dealer would charge me $120 to just dorp the pan and refill with +3, I'm making out pretty well getting all the fluid replaced with +4 for $170. I've had good experiences with this garage in the past -- they're about as expensive (if not more expensive than) the local Dodge dealer, but they do very good work.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
White97Sport said:

The $170 includes the cost of the ATF+4, which my dealer wanted to sell to me at $110 per case (12 quarts).
Wow!!! $110 for 12 quarts!?!?!! I just paid $18 a gallon at my local 5*

Don

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DScruggs said:

Wow!!! $110 for 12 quarts!?!?!! I just paid $18 a gallon at my local 5*

Don

Just so everyone knows, the asshole that quoted me the $110/case price was in the parts department at Miller Dodge/Hyundai in Vestal, NY. They are a 5-star dealer, but I guess we know not to buy parts from them.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I wouldn't get to testy about it. He probably just quoted you list price. I bought a gallon jug instead of 4 quarts. Slight price difference there as well.

Don

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the fluid change done -- went pretty well. I saw the mechanic taking a few empty gallon jugs of Mopar ATF+4 out of the bay when they were finishing up, so I know they used the right stuff.

I asked the guy at the desk what they pay for the fluid, and he said they get it for $27 per gallon jug, when bought in cases of 6 gallons. So DScruggs, I guess you still got a pretty good deal.

I can definitely notice the differnce the +4 makes now. The shifts are a bit firmer, they're quicker, and I don't get that annoying sudden "catch" when accelerating from a stop. Glad I went ahead with the +4.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts