DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Does this thing really work?

697 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Indiana Intrep 
#1 ·
I was watching the Discovery channel an this commercial came on about an Electronic Rust Protection System.

Does this really work?
How?

Here's a link

#3 ·
Well I know they have been using these kind of systems for years in boats, where and electric charge runs through the chasis to prevent rust and they also have a cathode that will rust instead of the chasis. The japanese tried them on some cars but the results weren't as they expected . I guess it's something that you have to try yourself and see.

#4 ·
i wouldnt waste my money unless someone on here has tried it. Id rather put my $80canadian to get Krown Rustcheck.proof my car each year. So far its worked, 1993Vision canadian driven in winters ect... not an inch of rust on it.

#5 ·
Well that’s why I’m asking. It seems it’s been around for 20 years and this is the first time I hear about it?
If someone has experience with it due to work or whatever, I wouldn’t be a test subject.

I find it interesting and if it works, it may be worth it.

Like smc1377 says about their site. Why all the fancy terms? The average Joe reads it a bit and scratches “my” head saying, “WTF are they saying?”
It could have been written much better without needing to be an engineer to figure out what the HELL they are saying!

So the site doesn’t impress me.

If someone has had it in the past and can give input, that’s what I’m looking for or else, I’ll keep the few hundred $ for mods.

#6 ·
Striker98 said:
i wouldnt waste my money unless someone on here has tried it. Id rather put my $80canadian to get Krown Rustcheck.proof my car each year. So far its worked, 1993Vision canadian driven in winters ect... not an inch of rust on it.
What is this you're talking about? Is it like a wax of some sort? Is it done by a professional?

I never heard there was anything that you could do to rust proof your car, so I'm very interested.

#7 · (Edited)
flying_pork_products said:
What is this you're talking about? Is it like a wax of some sort? Is it done by a professional?

I never heard there was anything that you could do to rust proof your car, so I'm very interested.
The rust process actually is a very low grade electrical process, I guess you could say in layman's terms. Think of a lead-acid battery; the acid and the lead create an electrical reaction. Rust is somewhat like that, and by introducing a low level current of the right type the electrical process and therefore the rust process can be neutralized. The anode or cathode or whatever it is, I forget what it does. I do know this sort of system has been used for a very long time on ships, salt-mining equipment, and other things so it must work. The question is how well it will work on a car and whether you can get enough of the current going to all the body and frame areas. Here's my rustproofing system for my '03 Intrepid... my '96. The '03 will spend winter in the garage.

#9 ·
If it was in 88 I doubt the technoogy was very sound. They use this on the trucks that spread road salt here in Canada and I also have heard this technology is in place on the oil pipelines to prevent rust building in the joints.

Anyway I had the module installed in my new Honda. Attaches to the battery and sends a low impulse electrical current down the body panels which prevent the rust molecules from bonding.
The package supposedly retailed for $1599.00 Canadian (I payed $599.00) and included fabric protection treartment and an acid rain protectant sealer on the paint.
The car is guranteed for life against rust perforation damage to any body panel and the warranty is transferable if you sell the car. Honda supposedly administers the warranty. We shall see how it works.

#10 · (Edited)
boltuprite said:
If it was in 88 I doubt the technoogy was very sound. They use this on the trucks that spread road salt here in Canada and I also have heard this technology is in place on the oil pipelines to prevent rust building in the joints.

Anyway I had the module installed in my new Honda. Attaches to the battery and sends a low impulse electrical current down the body panels which prevent the rust molecules from bonding.
The package supposedly retailed for $1599.00 Canadian (I payed $599.00) and included fabric protection treartment and an acid rain protectant sealer on the paint.
The car is guranteed for life against rust perforation damage to any body panel and the warranty is transferable if you sell the car. Honda supposedly administers the warranty. We shall see how it works.
I hope it works out for you - I've seen where companies offered two kits, a cheaper one with fewer anodes and a more expensive with several. I think the key is getting the current to all parts where rust can form, but when you get salt in corners and seams and edges if there's no current it might not work so well.

I have to admit though when I saw that you got $1000 off the cost and they threw in 'fabric protection treatment' (basically a couple cans of 3m Scotchgard) and an acid rain protectant sealer (glorified wax job) I got a bit less impressed. The fabric protection has been a huge profit thing for car dealers for 30 years, and just as long ago they used to sell "Polyglycoat" or "MING" (Masters In Natural Glazing) treatments to "seal" the surface of the paint and you never, ever had to wax the car! (So they said.) And they got a ton of money for that stuff too. Back in 1979 I had the car dealer do the complete rustproofing thing to my brand new Trail Duster (cost me $9986 loaded, including tax, sigh) and when I removed the door panels to install speakers I found that they had sprayed the rustproofing at least 8 inches up from the bottom of the doors. Lots of good that would have done. Dealers make lots of money selling rustproofing, 'protectant' treatments, pinstriping, and other miscellany of questionable value.

Good luck with the anti rust system - I know the basic technology works, it's the implementation that determines if it does any good. By the way, when I lived in Vermont a very popular anti-rust treatment they used was to spray bar and chain oil all on the underside of the vehicle and inside the doors and fenders. One guy up there had a 72 Chev pickup and it looked new - pretty impressive in a place where most cars rot to hell quickly. The bar and chain oil, at least some brands, have an additive, maybe zinc chromate or something I forget, which really puts the kibosh on the rusting process. They did it every fall and used some sort of spray gun or something to do the job.
The car would drip for a little while, but it did really seem to work.

(Look - back in 1979 - dark tinted 'privacy glass' - did anyone think that was a modern, cool new idea?)​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.