DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my car is falling apart and it's starting to get really upsetting, but here's something new that's happening with my intrepid. As i come to a stop, i can hear this hissing sound and feel the car down shifting as it hisses. It was only doing it just as it would come to a stop. But now hisses through 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. It's completely annoying when you've already stopped and the car seems to still be downshifting, it's hard to describe but I noticed a newer Concorde the other day and as it came to a stop by my intrepid I heard the same thing. What is it, and how do you stop it. i just had the fluid changed and the filter in the trns. and if anything it's gotten worse since then. any suggestions :silly:

·
Registered
510 Posts
First off, when you changed the fluid did you ATF +3 or ATF +4?

The sound you described is most likely the solenoid pack. You should normally hear this noise right as the tranny shifts from second to first, since this is when the vehicle is the quiestest. It actually happens every shift, it is just very difficult to hear during upshifts and most downshifts.

It shouldn't continue after the car has stopped moving though. And since you can hear it now during all three downshifts the pack might be wearing out, though I don't know for certain. As long as you used ATF +3 or ATF +4 when you changed the fluid last, you might want to have a tranny shop take check for any tranny trouble codes.

Has the tranny been doing anything else lately like slipping or entering limp mode (becoming locked in 2nd gear)?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea it does sound like the solenoid pack. The 604 in my car does this when downshifting from 2 to 1. However i never really heard it from 3-2 but then again my exhaust is one loud boy!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hope you took your car to a good shop, are you sure they put in ATF 3 or 4. Some shops there to pass off Dextron. If you took it to a dealer you should be ok. But some other shop you never know. That's why sometimes it's just best to do thing's yourself, then you know what's going in your car.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That is a normal sound like said above it is the solenoid pack it is supposed to provide a smoother shift. I would say there is nothing to worry about until the transmission starts slapping into gear(loud clunk when downshifting into first while stopping or while accelerating).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, I took it too the Grease Monkey, and they didn't use ATF+3 or 4 they threw Mercon in and added modifiers. They swore to me that it was within chrysler specs and showed me all sorts of paperwork to prove it, but still. The transmission shifts fair enough no worse then before the fluid was changed but I can physically hear and feel it upshifting when it comes to a stop. It did actually clunk into first once, a couple weeks ago but hasn't done it since. After reading a heap of posts about our transmissions i decided to disconnect the battery for an hour and try to reset The TCM. It worked for all of twenty minutes but once everything comes up to temperature it's back to business as usual. However with the Air conditioning on it doesn't do it, and yes i kept the window open to hear it but you can feel it too, with the AC on it doesn't do it at all, just comes to a stop with out all the racket and feeling. I have every intention of getting the fluid flushed and the filter replaced ASAP. There's no way that this is normal though because i've owned this car for four years and am only the second owner and this is my 2nd intrepid and the other trep logged on 235,000 miles and never so much as hiccupped, and this is the first time mt intrepid that I own now has had an issue like this.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Well,shop's like that always try to pass something off thats not AFT 3 or 4. Thats why, if you can't do it yourself, take it to the dealer. I like to do stuff myself, so I know what's going on my car. And get that tranny flushed ASAP, before you end up messing something up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I always do fluid changes myself and i dont even trust a dealer. Hell, i wont even let a shop change parts for my car. I change and maintain every-single-thing on my car. From not knowing anything about cars to knowing just about everything i have to say if i can do it then anyone can. And if anyone complains about tools i bought my tools with only a part time job in high school. And for anyone complaining about time, i've fixed up my car going to school full time, and having a job right after school until 8pm at night.

Not to mention i've replaced my in tank fuel pump, and i did have to drop the tank, in freezing cold weather (mid 20-30 degree weather) in the middle of a parking lot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well "Blue", good for you. I generally do stuff on my car as well but seeing how i have no time during the day as my wife and i manage apartment buildings during the day and i attend school full-time during the night, there's no time for do it yourself stuff. I'm at the mercy of a mechanic but basically i know that it always pays to do it myself. i don't like it, but i got no choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts