DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERY time I get out of my car I get a large shock when I touch the door to close it. I know, "big deal", but it really is annoying... to the point that I try to find other ways to shut the damn door. Is this common for a trep? Should I just buy one of those grounding strip things? What I'm really wondering is if it could be caused by some electrical problem in the car, say with my stereo wireing?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'm assuming you have cloth seats. Its just the static charge from sliding off the seats when you get out of the car. I get zapped every once in a while too.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
my...god...you are my hero...

she is so hot

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
It happens to me also, but it's even worst in my dad's R/T. (he has leather & I have cloth) Just be careful because when you go gas up, this could do a spark and make everything catch on fire.. Always touch the metal on the car before filling up. You could put that string that you mentionned, but I'm not a fan of stuff hanging down the car, so I just deal with it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
yeah man it happens to me too (ive got cloth)
i dont like it either, but i just deal with it...
it sometimes happens in my dads 97 Taurus when I get out of that (cloth), so i think its just one of those things that happens...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I HATE getting shocks getting out of the car. I HATE that anticipation, KNOWING that your going to get a shock.

Fortunately, I don't have that at all with the Trep.

So, one vote, no shock with leather.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
I've had only two encounters with static in 2.5 years of driving the R/T - both times while wearing a nylon wind-breaker in cool (20-30°F) and dry conditions. That's a LOT fewer than the times I was shocked in the Concorde (cloth seats) ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used to have that problem with my '99 Intrepid that had cloth seats. I would ALWAYS get shocked when closing the door just like you. And I KNEW it was going to happen every time so I was anticipating it. It was a minor annoyance though, it didn't really bother me.

Now with my current '01 ES with leather seats, I haven't had that problem once.

So switch to leather if it really bothers you! =D

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I HATE getting shocks getting out of the car. I HATE that anticipation, KNOWING that your going to get a shock.
Thats what I mean.. it's the anticipation I hate more than the shock itself!

I do have cloth, but recently bought "plether" seat covers and I still get it. I can get in carefully, not rub anything, drive a short ways and zzztt when I carefully get out. It's weird but I'll have to live with it I guess, mabye I'm just a really "grounded" person, I had the same problem with my firebird.

Hold the door jam while getting out work's for me...JMO
I'll try that... the static should exit my shoe then... (probley zap my big toe!)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just close the door by pushing on the window...glass isn't static dissipative. Then again i hardly get it cuz my work requires me to wear special ESD (electro-static discharge) shoes, so i'm constantly grounded. Good for not getting shocked, but i guess bad during a raging T-storm!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
spray the car down with static guard. works wonders. spray down the seats and carpets. static should stop for a while or atleast till winter. LOL

·
Banned
439 Posts
i never understood those rubber strips that hang from the rear of the car.... as if those 4 giant rubber wheels weren't enough??

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Used to happen to me alot with my old car. (95 Intrepid ES, cloth seats)
Hasn't happened at all with the Special.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
It has a lot to do with the clothing you wear, mainly your footwear.. When i was wearing nike air's I used to get shocked like crazy. Switched to some classic Chuck Taylor allstars (very rubbery sole..) and I don't get a single zap.

·
Banned
439 Posts
that shoewear thing must be it.... when i wear slippers when i drive, i always slide my feet on the floor before i step out... that must be it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts