DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the recent fuel leaks in my Intrepid (parked, needs new line(s) ) I went to Sams Club and bought two 2 pack Kidde 'The Auto' B&C rated fire extinguishers for my cars. I don't know why I was even driving without one. All that flammable stuff under the hood. Now that I got these in the cars, I can save my self in the event of a fire that would occur on my cars, or someone elses. A great investment. I now keep one in the trunk of the Acclaim, Intrepid and Sable. Dispite the Sable being the only one that runs as of now. Sams had a deal on a two pack, $18.88. I bought two. I'll put the extra one in the shop.

This isn't a mod, this should be must for any car. You can buy them individually for a little less than 10 bucks at Wal-mart or a home center.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
HOLY that's a nice extinguisher!!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm not sure if the brand matter but ebay has several APC (i know... lol) and I think even OBX racing fire extinguishers. They are slightly smaller than those and a little more ..ahem.. "decorative" but they should get the job done. I was considering buying one of these, especially after I read about a members amplifier starting a fire (sorry I forgot the username), and my system is going to pretty much double in power after a few more audio mods. I have ..ahem.. 3-5 questions:

1) Are any of the substances used in these devices harmful to human skin or eyes or any other part of my body i enjoy having?

2) Do you have to recharge these types of extinguishers? I know businesses have them checked every month or so, to stay with a code or policy but is it necessary for this small of an extinguisher?

3) Where are some locations I could mount this to find it easily in case I need to put out a fire in both my engine bay or amplifier rack in the rear? Which location is more likely to have such an accident?

Oops. I'm no math major but thats definitely more than 2. LOL... SOMEONE HIT THE EDIT BUTTON FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

Thanks!
Josiah

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They shouldn't be harmful. Maybe a little skin irritation. I've used a fire extinguisher before (don't ask) and I was too worried about the fire to even notice any harm to my body, so I'm guessing no.

This one is a one time use only, It dosn't have a guage on it. Just a portable one.

I mounted mine in the trunks of my cars. I have no amps or junk in there that could cause a fire. More than likey, the fire will start under the hood of my cars.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had one when I had the Eclipse (1st gen) and while driving one day, it went off. Somehow, some stuff shifted, somehow the safety pin came out of place and the extinguisher went off. Needless to say, since the car is a hatchback, the entire cabin filled up with white powder and I had to pull over immediately and jump out of the car cause I couldn't breath.

Never did have to use it in a fire, but just make sure you have your's secured, unlike me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts