DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A/S on my '01 ES trep... I got the trep about 2-3 months ago.

Now... I don't quite understand the concept of it.

What's the difference between A/S and a manual?

Call me an idiot, but I'd like to know the differences and exact purpose of A/S and the difference between it from stick shift. (I have a fairly good idea, but want to know exactly)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
With a manual transmission you need to use a clutch and you physically disengage power from the gears, change them and then reapply power to shift. The autostick works like a regular automatic transmission and does all this automatically except you can electronically tell it when to shift. Ultimately the control of the transmission is still controlled by the PCM(powertrain control module) but you have a little more effect on it than you would with a regular automatic. When you shift a regular automatic into the lower gears(3,2,L etc.) it won't necessarily downshift to the next lower gear with the autostick it will and you can select exactly what gear you want to be in(assuming it won't cause the engine to overrev) and it will also allow you to use full automatic without having to shift at all. It is quite a bit more complicated as what I've written from a technical standpoint but I tried to simplify it for you.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Well you can call it a "lazy man's" manual. It does largly what a manual will, allow you to shift gears when you want, how you want basically. Just no clutch to worry about, and the computer won't let you shift and do something stupid. Like go in 1st gear at 80mph or sumtin dumb like that. IMO its the best mix we can get for our cars, for people who want a manual so they can drive how they want, like in town driving , curvy mountain roads etc. Ya can say hold it in 2nd gear and just go and keep the engine in the power band etc. Just lets ya have a little bit more fun then people that don't have it , i put it in my '96 and the only time i haven't used autostick was when i was eating something, or getting road head :)

Reactions: 2001RT

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Autoshift is really just a "toy" for racing wannabe's but it is fun to play with. All it really does is sort of lock the transmission in either 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or OD. I say "sort of" because if the RPM's reach a certain limit, it will automatically shift into the next highest gear. Also, you can't shift down into, say, first at 70 MPH as there is also an RPM range that you can't enter into which is the same RPM limit that you can't stay in as well. Else wise it makes your automatic transmission act like a standard without having a clutch...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I don't get what you mean "sort of", it lets you shift however you want to as long as its not unsafe for the engine. If you wanted to shift a true manual into first at 70 you would physically be able to, and then call a tow truck. Also as far as upshifting, it only does it at redline to keep the engine from overreving, most regular automatics will shift before this point. And it is definitely not just a toy for wannabes, it allows the driver far greater control over the shifting. I use my autostick all the time and shift to low gear while descending a hill so I don't have to ride the brakes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Does it work the same as a full manual valve body in an old hotrod or race car? meaning if you put it in drive from a stop it takes off in drive?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Another advantage to autostick. I know because I don't have it.
You can hold a lower gear with your foot off the throttle.

Example, Merging onto on ramp. Curve is sharp enough you have to completely release the throttle and turn. Then merge onto highway.

Without, like mine, when you let off the car upshifts to 3rd. Then you have to floor it and wait and it downshifts to 2nd.

With, you autostick into 1st, turn the corner with the rpms high. Start to straighten out and floor it, instant rpms just before redline, shift to 2nd.

I'm sure the autostick car would be ahead of the non autostick in this particular case.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
you can put it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd from a dead stop and gun it if ya want, although prob be alittel sluggish in 3rd lol. 2nd works great for driving on the snow, starting from a stop etc. Also helps when i pull up on my ramps as well

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
wo23dodge said:
Does it work the same as a full manual valve body in an old hotrod or race car? meaning if you put it in drive from a stop it takes off in drive?
As gr8crash has said you can take off in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear from a dead stop.

But you can also put the shifter in the "D" position (drive) and have it shift like any other automatic transmission ...

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Holy triple post batman!

Anywho, I just wanna add that autostick is probably the most useless thing in the whole world.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
if it was that uselss then why does almost every other company now offer some type of spin-off from the autostick design?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Holy triple post batman!

Anywho, I just wanna add that autostick is probably the most useless thing in the whole world.
I can think of other things that are a lot more useless. Say. . . .that computer fan supercharger thingy! Or maybe the Turbonator. Hmm, how about cranberry sauce? I mean, does ANYONE have cranberry sauce outside of Thanksgiving?

Having had a manual car before buying the Trep, I found the Autostick to be incredibly useful, though if you're trying to compare it to a true manual or even the system employed on cars like Porsche's or Ferrari's, then the autostick system definitely comes up short.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I wouldn’t say it was useless myself. I mean no one is going to ever confuse the intrepid with a Ferrari, but the autostick is a fun thing to have. I mean truly, if you’ve never gotten any enjoyment out of the autostick, then you probably see the Intrepid as absolutely nothing more then a people mover. I personally see it as a nice, big, comfortable car, which can cart my friends and me around very nicely, but can also charge down a curvy country road and give you plenty of enjoyment and never feel underpowered. So the autostick gives me some extra control over transmission so I can avoid unnecessary shifting, and makes driving “aggressively” even more fun.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yeah, I'm at work and on my way in in the in-law's V10 Dodge Ram, I was wishing that it had autostick or some form of it. There was a Ford F150 that had charged down the on-ramp and cut me off on the highway, which is fine. Then we both exited that highway onto another highway and so being that I already know how he drives, I was betting he'd take off again.

Here's where I wished I had autostick to keep get the truck in 2nd gear. Anyhow, I still floored it and it took a couple seconds to downshift but I still blew by the F150. But now I'm kicking myself cause I'm sure I wasted a whole gallon of gas doing that. BTW, that truck is for sale.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts