DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my '97 'Corde for a total of 3 weeks. Good thing it's certified. My tranny crapped out yesterday on my way home from work. It started shifting hard... then slipping... then kaput when it tried to downshift to get up a hill. Nothing like having the engine turning 5000 rpms and the car is rolling backwards while the dash display says I'm in neutral, drive and 3 at the same time. Boy I love roadside assistance. I only have reverse and 2nd. Dealer's supposed to call me this afternoon to tell me what's going on. Has anyone ever had any problems with this transmission suddenly dying so fast that by the time you realize something's wrong it's dead. And for no apparent reason, especially at only 55k?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine went with no warning. I was going to work and suddenly my car wouldn't shift out of 2nd. Luckily the whole tranny didn't go. I got it back home and called in to work. Threw the car on a trailer and brought it to a tranny shop. that's were it is right now :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, same thing happened to me, but I did some research and before you spend ~$2000 on a rebuild like me, you can try changing the fluid to the PROPER ONE! DO NOT USE DEXRON II, it will KILL your car. So try a fluid change before rebuild. And I'm only at 48000 miles...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I tried a flush, unfortunately to no avail!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! Believe it or not, the computer crashed. The tranny itself is fine. They fixed a loose wire in the shifter, cleared the computer and updated the programming... or at least that's what they told me. I picked it up Saturday morning and it's running better then when I got it. The 1-2 shift still seems a little hard when compared to my dad's '95 'Trep, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
AWESOME fix! My rebuilt tranny is havin some 1-2 shiftin roughness right now... I am beginning to hate Chrysler trannies. Blah.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Matt

My '93 Trep is behieving similar for about 2 months to date.

Ramdomly, at start and shift to D, the Tranny just waits 5 seconds and engages to 2nd gear. So I get no gear shifting (only 2nd). Then I stop and start the engine several times until I get a soft gear engage to 1st.
I tried changing both Input and Output Sensors but the problem persists (ramdomly).

The Trans Shop Mechanic says it is due to some eclectric missfunction or a loose connector or cable somewhere.

I'd appreciate your advice

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
there is a TSB for 1-2 shift shudder. i have that shudder...and there's a fix but it is not a big deal if you don't have it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts