DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for anyone who has changed they're door speakers

I have the Infinity System and some how the "voice coils" (I don't know what they are) have blown up, that's why they sound like crap. (In my opinion you should never be able to damage stock speakers when the amp and deck are stock)

What kind of speakers have you guy's put in your doors? are they drivers (like the stock ones) or are they mid's?

Can you even buy drivers that small?

Also, do replacment speakers distort with the bass turned up when using the stock infinity amp?

Last but not least, are the speakers glued on to the freakin door? I took out the screws but the speakers don't budge. How do I take them out without damaging anything?

·
Registered
196 Posts
you just need to move the speakers around a little bit there is sort of a bracket in behind there that the speaker basket and magnet hook onto but come out fairly easy.
1 stock speaker will distort and wear out mostly because for the most part the are not great quality and wear out when abused

2. they are 5.25 inch speakers in your doors but some 6 inch will fit i have 6 inch alpines in my doors.

3. you will get a much better bass response from after market speaker. because they are built better and have a stiffer cone which is ussaly treated to resist moisture. also you will get better response out of them. i would go with a set of 2 ways or 3 ways in the doors give better clarity most cause the highs wont be all crowded in. also it seperates the bass driver from the tweeters.

4. another thing to consider is the fact that the ohm rating for the speakers you are buying will have a lower rating then stock usally 4 or 8 ohms. (stocks are usally around 10) keep in mind 8 ohms will give you less volume then 4 ohm speakers but will be alot cleaner sounding if you are keeping the rest of the speakers stock i would go with the 8 ohm they will sound more even with the rest of the stock ones. BUT DO YOURSELF ONE MAJOR FAVOR SPEND THE TIME AT SHOPS AND LISTEN TO DIFFERENT SPEAKERS AND FIND ONES THAT SOUND PLEASING TO YOU NOT WHAT EVERY ONE ELSE SAYS IS GREAT YOU WILL BE MUCH HAPPIER. sure its great to hear what people have had good luck with but you need to be happy with it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thump186 said:
you just need to move the speakers around a little bit there is sort of a bracket in behind there that the speaker basket and magnet hook onto but come out fairly easy.
1 stock speaker will distort and wear out mostly because for the most part the are not great quality and wear out when abused

2. they are 5.25 inch speakers in your doors but some 6 inch will fit i have 6 inch alpines in my doors.

3. you will get a much better bass response from after market speaker. because they are built better and have a stiffer cone which is ussaly treated to resist moisture. also you will get better response out of them. i would go with a set of 2 ways or 3 ways in the doors give better clarity most cause the highs wont be all crowded in. also it seperates the bass driver from the tweeters.

4. another thing to consider is the fact that the ohm rating for the speakers you are buying will have a lower rating then stock usally 4 or 8 ohms. (stocks are usally around 10) keep in mind 8 ohms will give you less volume then 4 ohm speakers but will be alot cleaner sounding if you are keeping the rest of the speakers stock i would go with the 8 ohm they will sound more even with the rest of the stock ones. BUT DO YOURSELF ONE MAJOR FAVOR SPEND THE TIME AT SHOPS AND LISTEN TO DIFFERENT SPEAKERS AND FIND ONES THAT SOUND PLEASING TO YOU NOT WHAT EVERY ONE ELSE SAYS IS GREAT YOU WILL BE MUCH HAPPIER. sure its great to hear what people have had good luck with but you need to be happy with it.
Thanks for the info, so I'll check out 8ohm speakers. I actually want drivers, not 2 or 3way's. I'm already annoyed at how loud my tweeters get (IMO).

What alpine speakers do you guy's have exactly? I will test alot out, after all I only make $7/hr, so I defintely don't want to waste my money.

Also, does anyone know if any company's make 8ohm drivers that small? I think i've seen 4ohm but not 8ohm.

One last thing, either I'm retarded or I didn't understand what you said (no fault of yours), but how will they sound with the stock Infinity amp? I already have a 2channel amp, I just don't want to waste my time hooking it up if the speakers sound good with the stock amp. My amp is 50watts peak. Also the Infinity amp is massive for stock, but then again it's pushing 7 speakers...

As for what NextLevel said, anything will sound better than the ones I have, apparently because my "voice coils" are blown. It sounds really really really bad. I'm assuming you guy's are using amps?

·
Registered
196 Posts
yes anything will sound better then what is there. and yes almost all of your aftermarkey speakers are made in 4 and 8 ohm you just need to ask the salesman for which you want. the reason the due this is for the amount of speaker some guys run and the ways for them to wire them to get different oh ratings. for example i have 9 speakers running off of one 2 channel amp all 4 ohm speakers but the way i have it wired my amp only see 2 ohms. but for you application i would think about 8 ohm.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Thump.

Another question, normally I think of ohm's as resistance, but I heard with car audio it's impedance, what's the diff?

If I get a 4ohm speaker, can I put a resistor on to get it to 8ohm's or even 10ohm's?

(You said factory is 10 right? most speakers say what the ohm is on it, but I peeled off my infinity sticker, and it's blank)

I've also heard that a speaker that doesn't have enough power going to it can "rip". Is that true?

One last one, will the stock amp be able to damage new speakers if I max it out? (I probably won't do it, but I need to know just to be safe)

·
Registered
196 Posts
to answer the first question you can do that but in speaker term it change the frequency that a speaker will produce for example if you put on a 398mfd (micro farad) cap it will aloow that speaker to probuce mid bass. ohm is the measurement of the resistance of the voice coil ussaly determined by the number of wraps the primary wire makes around the voice coil. i would not advise trying to change the impeadence.... next your stock infinity should be able to blow or rip these speakers as long as they are good quality. the major thing that blow speakers is under powering them because with lower power people try to turn up the volume which makes the sound increase but also makes the distortion icrease and the speakers can not handle the volume of distortion they will take it for a while but will break down after a while. the reason most stock systems are higher ohm rating is to give the car a better sound with cheaper components. most aftermarket speakers will list a max wattage and a rms wattage (root mean source) which is usally abouty half of the wattage they are max out at so if a speaker say 50 watts the best way is to take the and cut it in half and you have the power rating for that speaker. an 8 ohm speaker will be easier on your stock amp and will be louder because the amp doesn't have to work as hard and is not distorting trying to push the higher ohm speaker. i dont think that your stock amp will have near enough power to blow good speakers. another thing you can find out what the sensetivity for the speaker is i like around 98db its is a loud speaker but loud enough you will notice it. hope im helping let me know if you have any more questions and i'll try and help.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was told that with the infinity 6 speaker system you have to buy "component" style speakers if you want to replace stock. True or False? Just wondering.

I also highly recomend "filters" for your dash tweeters and door speakers. (not sure if the infinity system already provides them). But the highs are very clear with them on. No distortion at loud volume.

·
Registered
196 Posts
it would be nice to put bass blockers or another type of cap on but really for that to happen you would be smart to do it to all of the speakers due to the fact that with rest of the speakers running fullrange and a certian frequency in the door you will loose alot of sound due to the fact that the only other speaker on the front stage would be the 3.5 inch in the dash which run in the upper mid range erea. due to that if you cap them off and not careful bout etting the frequency to match that and the other drivers you will have a big hole in the soundmostly in the mid bass level. as for having to buy seperates you do not have to buy them for the 6 speaker infinity system. the biggest advatage that seperates will allow is positioning of the tweeter to help raise the sound stage. actually if you look in your dash you will see that there is a 3.5 on the left and one on the right and a spot for a center channel which if you use the center channel and a good set of 2 ways in the door you will have just about the same effect as running seperates. a center channel will give you a sweet spot in your sound that most people never knew was there. For example my wife before i met her had always heard stock sytems or home radios when she met me i showed her high end car audio and she realized how much she was actually missing. one of the biggest problems with tweeters is finding a location for them without them SCREAMING IN YOUR EARS and still keeping you sound where it should be....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Components? Probably true, since the stock amp has a crossover and only sends bass to the woofer and highs to the tweaters. The drivers in the doors may be an exception, but I think everyone says the rear deck speakers are woofer only.

Anyways, I put Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5s 3 way components in my doors. The shop had to cut the panel below the 6.5 driver for the 4" midrange and make a grill, but it turned out fine and sounds great. They have a 2 way too I think. I replaced the amp and head unit too, so it's not a fair comparison to what you are attempting.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guy's

The rear deck speakers (in the Infinity system) have 4 wires running into them, when I tried to hookup normal speakers, I either got pure bass or pure treble. My best guess is that the 6x9's are only bass and there a separate tweeters built in too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of you are saying you've put 6.5's in your doors, do they fit properly without cutting into the door or anything?

Since I've figured out that the door speakers are only for bass, I don't want 2-way's or 3-way's

I myself was thinking about the Boston Acoustics Pro Series 5 1/4inch driver.

Also the Kicker R5C or R6C if there's no problems getting it in there.

Here are the specs:
http://www.kicker.com/kcsc/mainx.show_page?p_filename=kickres.html&p_menu=MIDTWEET&p_bg=MidTweetBG

Also, what's more important for stronger bass?

Lower Frequency Response
or
Lower Sensitivity?

3rd last question, Kicker and BA speakers are 4 ohms, will this cause uneven sound? (even though they'll only be producing bass)

2nd last question, you guy's are saying that under powering a speaker and turning up the volume will cause them to rip/blow.
Since I will not be using an amp, will I damage the Boston Acoustic's speakers or the Kicker speakers if I crank it up?

According to the 1994 Intrepid Brochure, the Infinity Sound System is 180 watts for 11 speakers in 7 locations (whatever that means, I only count 9 speakers) How much RMS do you think that is?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts