DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...here's my first stumper with my little Intrepid. She's a 97 with the remote door lock / unlock tag. The Driver side back door won't open. When you hit the door lock / unlock the lock button on that one door doesn't move. All the other doors / locks work fine. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to open the door??? I've tried the search feature and looks like this is a new stumper....

Thanx for any and all input...
Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad.....should of mentioned the lock mechanism is deffiantely stuck....you can't even pull up on the lock. With my old Park Ave when it stuck you could hit the unlock button and pull the lock and it would go....no luck here. Any thoughts on how to free the mechanism??

Thanx,
Dan

·
Registered
646 Posts
go to the auto parts store and buy some lock de-icer ****, its got graphite lubrication in it, try putting that in the lock cylinder and pop the key in and see if you can unlock it that way, since the little nub is hard to grab inside sometimes anyway.

Or you might even just try sticking the little red straw from WD-40 in the lock, and spraying some WD in it, although i dunno where the excess would go. But when using lock de-icer go ahead and use a good liberal amount, it wont hurt it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Japy said:
go to the auto parts store and buy some lock de-icer ****, its got graphite lubrication in it, try putting that in the lock cylinder and pop the key in and see if you can unlock it that way, since the little nub is hard to grab inside sometimes anyway.

Or you might even just try sticking the little red straw from WD-40 in the lock, and spraying some WD in it, although i dunno where the excess would go. But when using lock de-icer go ahead and use a good liberal amount, it wont hurt it.
Thanx man...only downside is it's the d/s back door....no where to put the lock de-icer stuff....heck without opening the door you can't even get the panel off....

*scratches head*
Dan

·
Banned
338 Posts
know anyone w/ a slim jim? you might be able to get down past the rod that connects the mechanism to the pull up knob on the door and unlock it from within the door. you will probably unhook the rod or the inside or outside doorhandle as well, but you might be able to at least unlock it so you can get the door panel off to find out whats going on

AJ

·
Registered
296 Posts
the slim jim idea might work and if you don't know anyone with one,
i noticed you are in london ontario, i'm about an hour away and i know that forest city surplus there on dundas street did sell them last year for like 10-15 dollars, might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Also, if you can't find a Slim, you can use a old metal cloths hanger, just straighted it out and then bend a hook on the end of it. It's not not first class but it works. ( I've had to do it myself in past ! :icon_razz )

·
Registered
646 Posts
i cant remember since im in school right now, but if you take out the back seat from the passanger side can you undo the door skin? But as I said i cant remember since im not looking at my car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if your problem is similar to mine or not. My drivers rear door won't open sometimes because the rod going to the outside handle binds against the window or track. I haven't gotten it apart to fix it yet. Was told from the people I bought the car from that it started after someone tried a slim jim and didn't know how to use one. I always just roll my window a little and it will open...Worth a shot so you can get to it and fix it at least.

Joseph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.