DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Premium Member
It can be a problem.

For the doors, the most practical solution that people have found is to find one door weatherstrip of the same type from a junk yard car, cut thru the one on your car at the bottom of the door, cut a section a few inches long from the junk yard one, and insert that between the cut ends to add overall length to make up for the shrinkage. You can insert some smaller diameter soft material to connect the cut ends and glue it with black RTV to finish it up.

Unfortunately, the only satisfactory solution for the trunk weatherstripping is to find the exact one from a junker. The two big problems are the scarcity of these cars in the yards these days and they pretty much all have tears in them from people dragging things across them. I guess you could do a cut and splice like with the door pieces to replace damaged sections IF you find one that is mostly undamaged - not as satisfying as a perfect whole one, but the chances of finding a perfect or near perfect one is slim.

There's a harness that goes thru the trunk weatherstripping that has to be partially uninstalled to put the replacement weatherstripping in without cutting and splicing it (assuming you aren't going to be cutting out and splicing damaged sections of the weatherstripping anyway).

Reactions: amtct

Premium Member
Yes - the seals are rarer than gay unicorns (from what I've seen, most unicorns appear to be gay). 馃

• Haha

Premium Member
When I had my Concorde re-painted, I replaced trim pieces (door window frame trim) with ones that were in much better condition than mine. The rubber molding around the rear window was sun damaged (faded and wrinkled) - as you said, made as part of the glass. I found a car in the junk yard on which that rubber looked brand new. I bought a special tool to cut the rear window seal loose from the car. Then I cut the rear windows out of the junk yard car and my car (that was a giant pain in the butt to do). Then I had the car painted with no rear window in it. After the car was painted, I took it to a glass shop with very good reputation and had them install the glass with the good molding that I got from the junk yard - it was a risk because if they had done a sloppy job, it would have been some cost and a lot of trouble for no gain. They did a perfect job - it looked factory. But, as you already said: no more cars in the junk yard.

Premium Member
I am curious if the glass shop told you that they could no longer get the glass for your car, or could not get the windshield seal that they would need. I was told by a good local shop that 1st and 2nd Gen LH glass was still available from some suplliers (there are several), and they had a large number of rubber windshield seal cross-sections to choose from (since there are so many OEM shapes). But I haven't had them try to actually order the glass yet to confirm this. Sometimes suppliers have things listed, but you don't find out that it is no longer in stock untill you place an order. I just have a small 6" crack on the side of my windshield that was previously repaired with the UV-cured windshield resin (does work for short cracks), but it is on my list to replace.
I don't know the answers to your questions, but am including the following info. in case there might be something useful in it:

I didn't check into details of buying the back glass since prices I had seen on it were ridiculous - like $400-$600 ridiculous (that was around 2011 and prior). The rear glass comes with the rubber molding (the trim around the perimeter of the glass that a person looking at the car sees) molded to it for these cars - molding not available separately. Pretty sure that is true for OEM and aftermarket on these cars. I think it also includes a thick rubber base on the underside of the glass that gets glued to the car with the black urethane adhesive - the only thing the installer would provide is the adhesive.

The Chrysler parts pdf (2002, should be similar for other years) shows spacers for the back glass. Perhaps there is no rubber seal attached to the underside of the glass, and the installer supplies a s**tload of urethane adhesive:
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting White Motor vehicle Hood
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Brand

As for the windshield, I don't think I ever checked into price, availability, or seal details of that - never had any chipping or cracks, though I thought about replacing the windshield on my '99 Concorde that had really bad sun glare from it having a bad case of windshield sand blast pitting after 250k+ miles of highway travel. I think the windshield also comes with a rubber seal molded to the underside of the glass, and the installer adds urethane adhesive. Again, I could be wrong about a molded seal being included with the glass.

From parts pdf, same on windshield - spacers, and maybe no attached underside rubber seal, just a bunch of urethane adhesive supplied by the installer?:
Gesture Rectangle Sleeve Slope Automotive exterior
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

Sorry I can't fully answer your questions on that. Perhaps someone who knows will come along and answer.

EDIT: I did also consider replacing the windshield on my '98 Concorde as it had a ripple and a very annoying visual distortion near the bottom edge. Alas, I never replaced the windshield on either car, and both are long gone.

Premium Member
Which year pdf do you need? I can provide it to you if you PM me your email address (will FTP it and notify you by email).

BTW - I am in discussion with the forum administrator to see if they will agree to host all year FSM and parts pdf's in special threads again. Used to be that way, at least for the smaller parts pdf files, but all got lost last time we changed forum host. Hope to have their answer on that in a few days. As it is, they have a file size limit for us to attach files, and if members host it on external sites, that's only good as long as that member is around and the hosting site stays up, so in general, they're not available from one year to the next.

Premium Member
It doesn't matter....I got a 99 but a parts catalog is good even if its a newer version. Main parts are pretty much the same. Thank you in advance ...I'd still love to see one day that dealer catalog with chapters and everything branded Mopar . I will send you my emails.
I had torgotten that Ron re-uploaded the parts pdf files in 2019. I just checked, and they still work: 2nd Gen Parts Catalog

The FSM files are larger than the size limit for the forum. If they let us, I'd like to also upload the FSM files.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts