DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a question for the people who have been around computers since 1992 or 93..
Does anyone here have a working copy of DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.22 or any in between?

If so give a shout out.. I got some files that are on a series of floppies using the old backup and restore commands of DOS. I don't know which version was used to do the backup, and I had 5.0, 6.20 and 6.22 if I recall correctly.

Also, If I remember correctly, backup and restore are version sensitive...

AJ

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are serious, PM me. I have access to about 1000 copies of DOS 6.22, litterally. I am quite sure my company can part with one of them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
IntrepidHero said:
Does anyone here have a working copy of DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.22 or any in between?

If so give a shout out.. I got some files that are on a series of floppies using the old backup and restore commands of DOS. I don't know which version was used to do the backup, and I had 5.0, 6.20 and 6.22 if I recall correctly.

Also, If I remember correctly, backup and restore are version sensitive...

AJ
I'll bet those old DOS versions have gone into the public domain and can be downloaded for free. Remember, they are non y2k compliant and thus of absolutely no use to Microsoft or almost anyone else. I'd do a google search on that topic.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah some versions or DOS, even clone versions are freeware not sure about the version number so probably better to get a real copy. You could probably find some versions online just to try and see if they work with the software.
But if you have disk copies of backups those files are probaly trashed, especially if the backup has been spanned on disks there will be decay and unless you've had them sitting in a nice clean/magnetically shielded and climate controlled resting spot even then they are probably not even readable.

I got a bunch of coasters of old data on disks I haven't gotten around to tossing yet.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
TJ said:
If you are serious, PM me. I have access to about 1000 copies of DOS 6.22, litterally. I am quite sure my company can part with one of them.

any chance of them being able to part with another copy?

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys, I talked to vb6wpm last night about it, and he said teh same, google it. I found a site with some disk images from various versions of it.

TJ, I would be very interested in a copy.

AJ

·
Registered
293 Posts
wb6vpm said:
any chance of them being able to part with another copy?
You have a PM

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hat Trick | Mafioso said:
there is a version of FREEdos... um, google "old versions" or "old files"... they got allllll the old software...
I don't that Backup or Restore would work in FREEdos but DOS thinks that FREEdos is Microsoft DOS at least. Found this out by putting DOS on a computer then using some old DOS 5.0 Upgrade disks the boss gave me. The disks wiped out FREEdos and installed full version of DOS 5.0

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
IntrepidHero said:
Damn, I started BUILDING computers back then (I was barely out of grade school). I would offer to help get you the disks you're looking for, but it looks like you're covered. I'm sure I have DOS 5.0 and 6.2 at home (as well as Windows 3.0 and 3.1 and pretty much everything since).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts