DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new computer. The machine is coming with Vista Home Premium (64-bit) pre-installed. With regard to OS, I have three legit choices:
#1 - Leave it alone
#2 - Install Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
#3 - Nuke the drive and install XP Pro (32-bit) - and hope it recognizes all the hardware

Most of the time the system will just be running Office 2007 apps, Adobe CS3 stuff with the occasional sessions of Crysis or Half-Life thrown in for stress relief.

Any thoughts you folks have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My best guess is that it has 4 gb RAM and if that is true it will be no good on a 32 bit system since 32 bit is only capable of recognizing 3 gb RAM. I have also heard that 64 bit is more satisfactory in the long run.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you dont have a direct X 10 capable video card (and plan on using it for crysis and such) then there is no good reason to keep vista on your system at all... the only two Windows choices you should even considder are XP Pro (32 bit) or Vista ultimate (64bit), everything else is a waste.

the thing with XP is, you wont get more then 2.5 GB of ram to run on your system depending on how much memory your video card holds, but you dont need the extra memory with XP anyway
Wista 1024 mb ram just for the OS to run (stable),
XP 128 mb.... so not much of a loss there in the end

oh yeah and:
"If you want to down grade then toss on XP-64bit. "
lol, DOWNGRADE is the right word in that sentence, if you dont ever want to do anything with your computer, then XP64 is great for you ;)... I think win98Se has better support then that :D

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
XP 64-bit = driver suicide.

Stick with x64 Vista. 32-bit emulator makes everything within reason work without a hitch. Haven't had any issues in my year or so using it, and it's more stable than the 32-bit variant. Plus, if you ever do run true 64-bit applications (albeit rare), there is a performance gain.
AGREE 100%

I had XP 64.........WOW. I couldn't get drivers for a few things :(

Vista 64 is an amazing operating system.........best OS I've ever had (and I've had a lot). No problems with driver availability, crashing, or performance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Here is the issue with 64bit versions of vista, they FORCE driver signatures to be valid... Invalid, and you are screwed, used to be you could turn it off, but with SP1 they took that ability away, yet 32bit doesn't force valid signatures.

Now, 32bit vista/xp will ONLY recognize like ~3.5gb of ram or so, that INCLUDES any parts the contain some form of RAM, such as a GPU, or an X-Fi sound card with 64/32mb of ram onboard, 64bit versions, will recognize and use all available ram. IMO stick with 64bit, as long as the system has 4gb of ram, because todays games and apps are taking up a lot of ram... even 64bit vista it self does, but it can cope far better than xp with minimal ram.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're knowledgeable and comfortable enough, wipe vista and go with XP as soon as possible.

I bought a Lenovo laptop a few months ago. It came pre-loaded with vista home premium. I wasn't able to get any XP drivers from lenovo for a few months later, but as soon as they came out, I spent a couple days backing up stuff and moving back over to XP. I saw about a 15-20% increase in performance, not to mention the benefit of added stability.

Just keep in mind M$ will stop selling/supporting XP for home users soon, if they haven't already.

If you really want the new look and feel, just wait for windows 7. As far as I can tell it's what vista was supposed to be.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had my new computer for about 5 months now with Vista HP 64. The only issue I have had so far is my Saitek keyboard didnt have the new drivers on the CD but were available on their site.

Now the laptop runs Vista HP 32 and the OS appears to see the full 4g of ram installed. Does it take full advantage of it Im not sure but Vista does see it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
XP is becoming outdated, and vendors are already moving to just Vista and soon Vista/Win 7... There is no point to stick with XP on a newer mid to high end machine.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I bought a Lenovo laptop a few months ago. It came pre-loaded with vista home premium. I wasn't able to get any XP drivers from lenovo for a few months later, but as soon as they came out, I spent a couple days backing up stuff and moving back over to XP. I saw about a 15-20% increase in performance, not to mention the benefit of added stability.
Bought a slow laptop? I'm not going to argue that Vista requires more horsepower to run, that's TRUE. However, most DECENT computers can handle it.

As for stability, Vista 64 is just as good, if not BETTER than XP.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd agree to stick with Vista you're gonna have problems with drivers if you don't. I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista 64 Premium that runs 32 bit apps with no problem and has been stable. The biggest issue is getting all the junk apps and running processes out that most computers come with.

Personally I'm waiting for a good final copy of Windows 7.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
While at Art's meet, I wiped his Vista laptop, and put XP SP3 on it.
It seems to run a ****-ton better.

·
Dain bramaged
7,208 Posts
If you hate yourself, you could always go with Linux...
actually, ubuntu has pretty much closed the gap on the whole "OH GOD LINUX" *technically its debian but meh*

I dual boot ubuntu on my laptop. Its much faster, I can still run my windows applications, if you can run windows, its a very easy change to ubuntu.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I run XP 64 after throwing out Vista 64. It runs 3x faster then with Vista and so much more stable. V64 is really unstable compared to XP64. Granted you do have to look for all the drivers for it but in the long run a lot less headaches. They won't be stopping support for XP64 since it's used but a lot of businesses but not entirely sure about that since it is Microgreed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts