DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I've posted a few times this week about drag racing and was hoping the experts on this subject could provide some advice.

I had my first drag racing experience last week when I took my 2001 R/T to the New England Dragway in NH. I got 8 runs in and my best 1/4 mile et was 15.917 at just over 90 mph.

Besides a K&N filter, I don't have any mods in my Intrepid.
I took out everything in my car, including the spare tire and jack.

My main question deals with the launch. I have read some posts about "toque loading" or "brake priming". What exactly is this? Last week, I kept my left foot on the brake when staged and had my right just hovering over the gas pedal. My best reaction time was 0.553.... not too shabby! :biggrin:

Also, what do you recommend for tire pressure in the fronts and backs? I have read posts that swear by overinflating, and a few on underinflating... so I'm unsure what is better.

Any suggestions on how to improve my time (without mods) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
First, brake torqueing, as it's called, is when you press your brake pedal in as far as it goes and at the same time, hold the gas pedal down far enough so that the brakes can hold the car just enough from moving your car out of the staging lights. Then, when the last amber lamp is about to switch to green, let off the break, and floor your gas pedal as far as it will go.

Second, the idea is to deflate your front tires and inflate your rear since the car is FWD, it needs as much rubber as it can get to avoid as much tire slip as possible. Just think of wide shoes versus thin shoes. However, do not overdo it because you might either cause your tires to blow up because the rim will cut into them if it is at too low of a PSI or the less air in the tires, the more rolling resistance they have because the motor has to move more tire because it sags on the track and such. There is no exact way to say OK, it should be this or that PSI, you just have to balance it out where you have the front tires at just enough PSI to sag your tires enough to avoid wheel spin, but still enough to not get too far from stock. Your rear tires you can either leave them as they are or pump them up just a little bit. Remember, when you floor your car, the front end lifts up, and since your drive is in the front, you want to put as much weight distribution towards the front so that the engine does not have to work real hard when the tires aren't going forward fast enough because they are working against the wind resistance of the lifted up body.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
push the gas with your right foot while holding the car in place with the left foot on the brake to bring the revs up

this will push the car farther into the powerband and allow you to get a better launch

also pay close attention to your fuel level, every gallon of gas is extra weight that you need to carry down the track

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Maverick9110E said:
when power breaking in my 97 3.3 i push the brake to the floor and the gas to the floor but the rpms will only hover around 2100 rpms. wtf.
1st of all, it's called a stall speed, your torque converter has a certain RPM where it stops letting the power "slide" and begins to "lock up"

2nd of all if you are pressing your brake and gas pedals to the floor you have more problems to worry about, your brake pedal should never reach the floor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts