DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1st gen, and a friend is getting me a remote starter that we're going to install. I was just windering if any of you guys can recommend a good place to drill through the firewall -- won't be a big hole, maybe a quarter of a inch.

My friend used to work in a car audio shop and said there's usually a place in the firewall where they put an extra hole or two, or that there's at least a place that's meant to be drilled out. Anyone know of such a place in teh 1st gens, or will I just have to pick a place and drill?

·
10,746 Posts
Most cars do usually have open gromets. But not our cars.

You can poke a hole in the gromet for the speedometer cable. I just used a philips screw driver, and forced through a 14awg wire.

I drilled a hole for my 4 awg. I drilled right above the accelerator cable. I can show you a pic if you wish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just make sure that you, in some way, protect the wires running thru the firewall, from chafing. Eventually the insulation on the wire will be cut by the thin sheet metal and you'll end up with a dead short and a possible meltdown.

·
10,746 Posts
Thats why you fuse. The fuse will stop the wire from melting/starting on fire.

But, yes, you should protect the wire if you do drill. Sound domain carries gromets made for firewalls.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hypnos. I would in fact appreciate a photo if you have one. I was considering installing a remote starter myself. Is it hard to do?

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
i had a remote starter and attempted to install it. Didnt seem all that difficult, it just takes someone who understands wiring diagrams rather well. And both of hypnos' ideas are good for going through the firewall. I used the speedometer grommet for my underbody neons, and drilled a hole for some 8awg cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts