DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was coming back from lunch and I went to get my cell out of my pocket, which cause me to lean back on my seat and the whole back just popped and fell flat. I had to drive the rest of the way back to work sitting without any back support.

Anyone got any idea what might have broken and how much it would cause to fix?

I am going to pull the seat out and take a look after work today but thought I would ask just in case anyone else has had this happen to them.

BTW no big boy jokes please.... :bigcrowd:

·
Registered
291 Posts
2gens had a recall regarding seat reclining failures.

NHSTA Campaign # 03V035000 Recall Date: Feb 4 / 03
Chrysler recall # C04 Vehicles affected: 1,066,000

Summary: On certain passenger vehicles, seat back recliner bolt breakage can occur resulting in the seat back reclining unexpectedly.

This should be a no cost repair, regardless of warranty status.

If an authorized dealer gives you any static about the repair call DCX @ 1.800.853.1403 or the NHSTA hotline 1.888.327.4236

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do not think the stealership will notice but I think I had this recall done before I put in the 300M seats. Think the stealership took care of that recall when I had the cam sensor fixed last summer.

Would they be responsible to fix it twice for the same car? Also was this a problem just with the Intrepids or with the 300Ms as well?

**Edit***

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm?SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=03V035000&summary=true]Cover all the 1998 - 2002 LH vehicles[/URL]

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
They will notice...they do it by vin.

The recall is rather easy to do, just get some relacement bolts and such...unless there is frame damage to the seat...then you might be in trouble...

--Gorm

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
ask Curt...

anyone who was at Carlisle 2003 will recall using Curt's seatbelt to prop his seat upright for the ride back to Bruce's... Aaron was like MacGyver on the side of the Turnpike!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It is probibly the l shapet bracket that holds the back up you may have noticed some creaking .

Yes you can weld them i've done 4 just remove the saet bolt "roll " the apolstry back line up the broken part and mig it!

Helps to have help as it is ockward to line up, and a hose to cool it dowm but it really doesn't get that hot!

A scary job but doable!

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gazetowardthesky said:
ask Curt...

anyone who was at Carlisle 2003 will recall using Curt's seatbelt to prop his seat upright for the ride back to Bruce's... Aaron was like MacGyver on the side of the Turnpike!
Hey right now I have bungie cords connected to the seat belt holder then around the driver head rest to hold it up, aslo have another bungie cord around both the driver and passenger seat to help until I get home and take it apart...LOL

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You know I never thought about the recall in regards to the 300m seats. I wonder if there is any way to tell if the seats were fixed before you buy them becasue I'm getting m leather soon and would hate to have my seat break on me!!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,349 Posts
Just don't reach for your cell phone in your pocket and put stress on the seat back and you'll be OK!..Ducking!!

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
I had mine break on my LHS, or at least one of the two bolts. I brought in to the dealer and informed them i needed the recall done, and what had happened. He tried to tell me that the recall doesn't cover "those" bolts. Of course he was wrongo, and now my seat is good to go again ;)

If you want to check if any recalls are open on your car, get your VIN handy and check it on Dodge's Website here:
http://www-5.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R')

I don't think the dealer would be responsible for completing the recall twice on the same car if you swapped the seats, but if you get a nice service manager he might just do it. If not, it's not a big job to do...

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I just got back for SC this evening. I fixed the seat when I got home from work on Friday. I just took them out and put in new bolts and have not had any issues. I talked to the stealership and the service guy stated that he could not do the recall as he needed a 300M vin number to charge the recall against. Then he wanted to argue about the parts of 300Ms and Intrepids being interchangeable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hate that happened to you Keith. My seat bolt snapped when I had my accident in February (I have 300M seats, too). I ended up lying in the back seat saying "What the f&^%???" I used a MacGyver-ish bungee cord to the seatbelt connector and an old plastic milk crate in the rear floor to prop the seat up. Used a king-sized pillow to pad the milk crate so it wouldn't make marks on the leather seats.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I had the recline mechanism fail in my 95 (when I had the 96 seats in). There is a silent recall for the 1st gen seat recline failures. I just got a new mechanism from the junkyard as the dealer would probabily give me a bunch of run around, plus the part was only 3 bucks

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
So I checked the recall page (http://www-5.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R'))
and found two, the "floor shift ignition/park interlock" recall, and the "driver seat recliner bolt" recall. Then I realized I was using the VIN off of the dash that I replaced. (its out of a 2002 SE) So I ran my VIN off of the door jam, and found only the "shift interlock" recall. Interesting eh? No recalls for ES seats, yet SEs and obviously 300m seats have a problem? I'll bet I have the same bolts.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Intrep_ED said:
So I checked the recall page (http://www-5.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R'))
and found two, the "floor shift ignition/park interlock" recall, and the "driver seat recliner bolt" recall. Then I realized I was using the VIN off of the dash that I replaced. (its out of a 2002 SE) So I ran my VIN off of the door jam, and found only the "shift interlock" recall. Interesting eh? No recalls for ES seats, yet SEs and obviously 300m seats have a problem? I'll bet I have the same bolts.
You do. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts