DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering.. I remember reading somewhere in possibly a post.. that first gen's can be made to have DRL's.. as they are standard in Canada.. I have a 96, now my question is.. in the fuse box under the hood, there is a slot for a 20amp fuse for DRL's.. If I added a fuse would they work? would it hurt anything to try it? I want them.. because I drive in lots of traffic here in TN sometimes, so I'd like people to see me =) Please reply

·
Registered
51 Posts
Paul, I had posted much the same question a couple of weeks back about my '97, though it was really in reference as to whether or not adding DRL's would cause the radio and trip computer lights to dim if they were on. The concensus was that it took more than just adding the fuse, there was a relay that had to be put in also. I think '97 Platinum had hooked up an aftermarket kit to his fog lights, an idea I find useful. I never did get to my dealer yet to check about the lights dimming, or the price to install DRL's(too much, I'm sure). I would think that just putting in the fuse would cause no harm, since there SHOULDN'T be any connection leading out, but I have NOT tried it myself. I want the DRL;s for the same reason you do. I WANT to be seen by the OTHER folks on the road, and always drive with my headlights on, but that causes the radio and trip computer lights to dim, and I don't want that. If I manage to get down to or call my dealer, I will post his answer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey guys! I am just what you guys need...a CANADIAN! haha.......

Anyways, I have the stock daytime running lights on my system, and no, the lights do not dim in the day. (An aftermarket one shouldn't dim them either) I wouldn't know they were even on, unless I looked at the front of the car. They shut off if you put the parking brake on....useful at drive-in theatres in the summer when I want to have my car on for air-conditioning. Anyways, I know that our cars have a Daytime Running light module in the car somewhere.

Not too sure if you guys have the module (could be) and just dont have the fuse/relay for it, or if you dont have the module either. What you could do is, get a fuse for the DRL spot in the fuse panel, and the DRL relay thats in the relay panel in the engine compartment. (These should cost you jack.) See if this works - if it does, it will save you some dough on an aftermarket kit.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey.. cool.. see alot of them same color as mine here in TN too.. was told it was a rare color.. maybe not.. =) Back in CT I didn't see one my color.. maybe something in the south.. hmm.. got any pics/mods of your car I can see.. would be interested to see =)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Paul's 96 'Trep:
Thanks for your advice.. I appreciate it.. think I will go out & get those now =)
how much did it cost you and did it work? :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No... I didn't get the parts.. I checked b4 I left in the relay box again.. & I looked where it said Cruise fuse.. but if I put a fuse in it.. it would contact anything.. nothing but an empty slot.. would have been too easy.. anyone else have any other ideas though.. would like to hear =)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Paul's 96 'Trep:
No... I didn't get the parts.. I checked b4 I left in the relay box again.. & I looked where it said Cruise fuse.. but if I put a fuse in it.. it would contact anything.. nothing but an empty slot.. would have been too easy.. anyone else have any other ideas though.. would like to hear =)
damn... i was hoping DRL's could be done cheap and with ease...just my luck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The DRL needs the module to work. It is located on the passengers side up next to the radiator area . You have to crawl under the car and look up near were the horns are ,its black and bolted to the body . Not sure if the U.S cars had the same wire harness as the Canadian cars.The DRL's work by using the high beam of the headlights and cycling them off and on many times a second

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Otto.. thanks for your help.. I looked under the car.. see where the horns are on the right.. & next to them a little above.. is a black box.. with a little latch on it.. not sure if that's it or not.. & also.. what your saying is that we have to plug something into it? or what? appreciate your help. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The DRL module is a black metal box screwed onto the car. Going ito it is a fairly large wire harness. If you have the harness and not the module you will notice that the connection end has been capped with a jumper connector. if I could post a pic of what this DRL looked like things would be so simple . Going to order a dig camera , soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts