DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(this time in the right forum) I've no doubt a DRL kit can be hooked up to my first gen Trep, but will it dim the radio/trip computer lights?? I REALLY prefer to drive with lights on, but I like to see all the displays in the daylight, too. Has anyone done this?? If so, what were the results? Thanks in advance!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
You may want to ask a dealer how this works, becasue there is a daytime running lamp control module listed in the service manual. I dont know if this was fitted to all cars, and the function is just switched off, or if it is a module that can be fitted to the car to enable the DRL function.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Randy (Intrepid99) installed DRL on his 2nd gen, so you might ask him. the way it's set up i would *assume* the displays would be normal because the system completely bypasses the headlight switch, where the light-dimming is triggered.

also you might want to look into the factory-disincluded DRL. canadian cars are required to have them so manufacturers make their designs open-ended like this. the canadian cars have something where ours is missing, as NC pointed out, i just don't know what it is. stay tuned and i'll attempt to find out. hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I had read Randy's post about his DRL hookup to his driving lights, and actually thats an interesting idea, along with the ability to use the high beams AND the fog lights. I will have to give that option some serious consideration, as having maximum lighting at night is something I appreciate, and those high beams just aren't that great! As I will probably head up to the Dodge dealership this week anyway, I will check about the factory DRL setup. It could be an en-light-ening experience (sorry).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy, part of what I like about running the fog lights full time nstead of the headlight/DRL's is if the bulbs are going to fry faster from constant use, it's easier and cheaper to change the fog light bulbs tnan the headlights. But as my night vision is less than optimum, and I work nights, a whole lotta light is very appealing. :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you get Xenon or any of the "blue" foglight bulbs they are the same price as headlight bulbs. My Xenon H3 bulbs for my foglamps were $28 a pair...

·
Registered
587 Posts
For extra bright xenon headlight or foglight bulbs, go to www.midnightmoose.com they have the fogs for about 16 bucks U.S. and same with the headlamp bulbs. Dont get the high-powered ones, unless you're gonna install relays...you'll fry the wires and melt your housing! The eaglight bulbs are one of the best kinds of bulbs, btw....I ordered some for myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did see the Xenon bulbs when I went to get a replacement for the standard fog light bulg when I got the car (11/13/01), but didn't look at the price as they were marked "for offroad use only", though I think the halogen bulb I got was marked the same. In any case, I paid under $4.00 for the halogen bulb. I can afford to replace those every week if I had to. I was intrigued by the Xenon bulbs, though. Perhaps next time I have to replace the fog light bulbs, I will give them a try and see how they work. Thanks! :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Heres a good site for superwhite, blue, purple, and xenon headlamps and foglamps. You can get headlights as bright as 130hi 100lo :eek:

Light Site

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks very useful, p3p3(!). I will have to go through it thoroughly when I'm not at work, though I won't have the speedy T1 connection at home. I will also give the Midnight Moose site a good search.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Mogie:
I'm lost in a Halogen fog here... is there a daylight option for 1st gen LHs or not?
yes there is an aftermarket kit you can get and intall it yourself...i wouldnt think it would be all that hard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts