DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dry mine twice. Once after the wash, then a quick spin up the street and back.
This knocks another gallon of water out of the grille, under the headlights, out of the door handles, gas cap door, under doors and wheels, etc.
Another quick hit with the chamois and call it done.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I go with the water blade and then use the the drying towel everywhere. then let it sit for about 30 min to a hour and then wax. I personally can't drive and dry it since I have a gravel drive way. When I would come back there would be dust on the car and waxing with dirt is bad.

·
Registered
931 Posts
lol that california water blade? i love that thing lol

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
jfsram said:
I dry mine twice. Once after the wash, then a quick spin up the street and back.
This knocks another gallon of water out of the grille, under the headlights, out of the door handles, gas cap door, under doors and wheels, etc.
Another quick hit with the chamois and call it done.

Anyone else do this?
I do almost exactly the same thing. Water inevitably gets stuck behind the tail lights, door handles, sunroof, and side view mirrors. Since my eclipse is black, I finish up with some detail spray because its impossible to dry the car without leaving some water spots.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I use the water blade, then take a spin down my parents road, and then back up. Only a hundred feet or so, but a decent grade hill, I punch it a couple times on the way back up to lose all the excess leftover in the mirrors n ****.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
for me it depends on the weather.....in the summer/spring i dry it once, fall/winter, dry it twice. Of course everytime I wash the car it rains the next day, so its almost pointless to dry it at all.......

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I never dry after driving. Just going around the block will get dirt on the wet or damp areas of the car, and I don't want to wipe a chamois into the dirt which will put fine little scratches in the finish.

After washing, I dry the whole car with a chamois, then open all doors, hood and trunk, and wipe the underside of the hood and trunk and their openings with a terry cloth, and leave them open. Then terry cloth the inside of the doors and door openings including weather stripping. Next is the wheels. then back to the doors to get any drips at the lower corners. Then the lower corners of the trunk lid and the hood. Close trunk and wipe the water that dribbled down from the two spoiler mounts. Close hood and doors. Wipe any water that came out of door handles, mirrors,tail lights and headlights. Another fun thing that helps to keep the car spot free is after I'm done washing , I thoroughly rinse the wash mitt go over the whole car with it while holding running water behind the mitt. If you have a dark car, it will make a very noticeable difference, using the mitt for a final rinse.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My driveway has a slight incline to it. Once I am done washing, I dry it with a chamois. Then I give it a little "goose" up the driveway and into the garage and that dislodges any water hiding behind the lights and side mirrors. Then I wipe that stuff off in the garage and start working on the interior, wheels, tires, etc.

If I am really wanting to spend some time, I wash the car at home and then drive to my company's warehouse. The 10 mile drive gets rid of most of the water and then I put the car in the loading dock and have a nice, well-lit, air-conditioned area to do my detailing in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
TJ said:
and then I put the car in the loading dock and have a nice, well-lit, air-conditioned area to do my detailing in.

freaking sweet

·
Registered
235 Posts
your supposed to dry it after washing? joking...

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Wash twice, including the wheel wells (once a week...weather permitting). Open all doors, hood, trunk/tailgate, I personally use a waterblade then go back over other areas with a chamois. Door areas are wiped down with a soft cloth. Wax/Polish every 2 months....kept my 93 rust free (including inside of doors), with very minimal paint fade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have a coat of wax on your paint, take the nozzle off the hose at the end of your wash and let the water flow freely over your car. The water will sheet off and almost completely dry itself, it's pretty cool :).

Then I I like to go over the big panels with a leaf blower to get the majority of the remainder (remember, you're just pushing the water off with the blower, not drying it up which would induce water spots.)

Next I use a big waffle weave microfiber drying towel to go over the entire car. For this I love the Cobra Guzzler.

After that I go through all the crevices and intricate parts with the leaf blower to push out any remaining water and follow up immediately with the drying towel.

And that's how its done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts