DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you R/T owners. I need a couple of questions answered. I have an exhaust leak right after the first cat by the driver side exhaust manifold. Upon further inspection it appears that someone tried to cut the exhaust off and now there is about an inch gap in there. That cat and pipe are all one piece, and it is an expensive piece. So instead of replacing the piece I am going to try and weld it closed with and exhaust coupler. But I need to know what size the pipe is. The guy from autozone said he can't look that up on his computer.
My second thing is that as long as I'm working on the exhaust I might as well make up the dual exhaust. Again I need to know the pipe size. I'm going to go with the popular single in dual out route. Is the pipe size coming into the muffler the same as the front cat or is it bigger? If anyone has these dimensions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Does anyone have any tips for bending the pipes for the dual exhaust. It appears like I'll need 2-90 degree bends with a 2 inch offset to make it look right.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Pipe size coming into the muffler on my R/T was 2.5". I used a Flowmaster 80 2.5" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet muffler.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
mjk45 said:
Thanks, does anyone know if the pipe conecting the cat is a different size?
Cat pipes to first resonator are 2 1/4", pipe out of resonator is 2 1/2.

You will have difficulty welding it unless you have the ability to do stainless, as that's what they are, and using a piece of soft steel regular exhaust pipe for a patch will not work too well, unless you are a really good welder, since different temps of weld are required, as well as different rods & fluxes. Not to say it can't be done, but not by the average home guy.

As for bending, I assume that again you don't have a mandrel pipe bending machine at home. Any good custom exhaust shop should be able to do mandrel bending, but the LH stock exhaust on virtually every model is stainless steel.
If you live in a corrosion prone area, normal piping from a place like Midas or Speedy, will not last more than a couple of years at best. Find a shop that uses a thick-wall tubing if you are going with soft steel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I need to replace the cat pipe then. The cut on the pipe is kind of on an bend so it makes it difficult to clap a patch over it.

http://pa.partsandaccessories.com/parts/partsandaccessories/quote.jsp?year=2001&product=H3000-214322&application=001439343&part=Catalytic Converter&category=All&dp=true&showdc=null

Can someone tell me what the part # is for the drivers side cat and pipe that goes from the manifold to the first resonator? I'm thinking it's # 20315 but I want to make sure before I order. Is this the same part that the 2.7 has? (mine is 3.5)

I could have sworn that the passenger side looked just the same when I was under the car. But according to this website it is a smaller piece. This is why I'm questioning the reasoning of these pictures.
But again, I'm looking for the drivers side cat and pipe.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
mjk45 said:
Well, I guess I need to replace the cat pipe then. The cut on the pipe is kind of on an bend so it makes it difficult to clap a patch over it.

http://pa.partsandaccessories.com/parts/partsandaccessories/quote.jsp?year=2001&product=H3000-214322&application=001439343&part=Catalytic Converter&category=All&dp=true&showdc=null

Can someone tell me what the part # is for the drivers side cat and pipe that goes from the manifold to the first resonator? I'm thinking it's # 20315 but I want to make sure before I order. Is this the same part that the 2.7 has? (mine is 3.5)

I could have sworn that the passenger side looked just the same when I was under the car. But according to this website it is a smaller piece. This is why I'm questioning the reasoning of these pictures.
But again, I'm looking for the drivers side cat and pipe.
Thanks!

4581 730AC , Right

4581 731AB , Left

No, it is not the same parts as a 2.7

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found the CARX quote and part # on there is 54304 and they wanted $500 for the converter Needless to say I went home without the part.

Are those part numbers for the 01 r/t?

So part #20315 from that website won't work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts