DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed that since i got my dual exhaust set up, when i punch it off the line my car like hesitates and almost like sputters for a sec.....anyone know why it does this? :confused:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
you got true dual from headers to the bumper? or Cat-back dual? Could have something to do with the whole highly debated Back-Pressure thingey... Or, if you did true dual, you might have moved the O2 sensors out of the optimal flow of exhaust. OR maybe it always has done this, you just haven't been looking as close before. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
560 Posts
yeah what kind of setup do you have? that'll make it easier to diagnose your prob.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from the cats, it splits off and runs straight pipes out the side

·
Registered
560 Posts
no mufflers? hmmm...youve gotta have at least a LITTLE backpressure to keep the car runnin...my 56 mercedes, after i re-installed another motor from a running parts car, there was no exhaust system (still isnt a total one yet, but a rusty exhaust manifold with a glasspack clamped right behind it)...JUST to keep it from stalling, i had to put tension on the throttle linkage to the carbs, had it idling at 1500k...every now and then, there'd be a little flame comin from the exhaust ports (where the headers SHOULD have been) it runs like crap so far, even though the motor had a fairly recent restoration, just swapped out the orig. carbs for dual 2-barrel weber carbs before i headed off to school...we'll see how it runs come springtime!! anyway, bout that setup, that suckers gotta be annoyingly loud. that benz, even though its a 4cyl, sounded like a shrieking frieght-train when it was fed some revs...lotsa lifter click-clacking...

·
Registered
219 Posts
These engines use a measured amount of back pressure in order to create low end power. Going straight from the cats-out, there's very little pressure available. Top end must scream, but your going to lose the off the line "oomph" these have. If it bothers you that much you could clamp in a pair of "turbo style" cheapo mufflers. They'll quiet the car down abit but also help to bring the low end back up to snuff.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh i can live with losing some low end power just so i can get that deep rumble :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh.....and if you wanna know what it sounds like, its almost identical to the sound of rarewolf's car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You really opened up the exhaust didn't ya? LOL. I can't imagine the sound response you got out of it. Only thing is you lost so much low end power, intrepids are the worst at lowest speeds, especially with the 3.3. If you happy with it you know, dont fool with it, waste of money, but if it were me, I would attach some sort of muffler, maybe like a lil 20 dollar thrust muffler on each side from Advance. OR move up to the Dynomax Ultra Flows or Flowmaster. Just a couple of ideas. You race it much? How does it do??

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it can hold its own....sounds raspy and sweet as hell :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
yeah dude, badass. i was gonna do the same thing before w/ my car, but i scrapped the dual idea and went with single bent pipe from cats to a 40 series flowmaster. i dig the sound of it...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah it funny as hell to see the look on peoples' faces when they rev at me and i rev back. they're like wtf. i hate people that try to say a V6 cant sound cool...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Valhalla... What does that flomaster sound like? and what exactly is the muffler (I'm only a 16yr old kid, bear with me)?

Is the muffler the thing that the dual outlets come out of or that thing behind the gas tank? The haynes manual points to thing behind the gas tank, but I was like "no way, really?" Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The manuals correct. The thing that looks like the muffler you knew as a kid is now called a resonator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts