DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put silverstar fogs in. The stockers are 35w (I think) and the only silverstars I can find are 55w(?).

Does this cause issues w/ wiring and/or required fuse size?

Thx....

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Hey Oldschool,

The Sylvania website now says the silverstar H3's are now 65w. The ones I have been using are 55w I believe
There is no fuse issue. But I will share my issues :

*The shiny bullet shaped bulb cover will turn blue brown from the extra heat of the silverstar bulbs.
*The silverstar bulb connector is different from the stock connector. SS is a spade and stock is a bullet. You will need to make a patch cord, or cut off one of the connectors and splice in a matching connector.
* Either the extra heat or the outgassing of the shrink tubing from my patch cord caused the plastic chrome of the housing to haze. The reflector dish is okay.
* My driver side blew a week ago after about a year of having the SS in. I noticed the housing chrome seems bubbled up and the shrink tubing has melted into the connectors. Whatever happened caused some extreme heat. No fuses blown mind you and the passenger side still works fine. I haven't looked to see if the passenger side chrome is bubbling up(like it is a long term side effect from SS usage).

I never really cared that the bulb cover browned or that the housing chrome dulled. As long as I got brighter light out it was okay. I am now baffled at what caused all the trouble in the driver's side fog light. Just a freak occurance or something that will happen everytime? I need to go look at the passenger side and see if it is on the way out as well.

Luckily, I have a spare set to cannibalize(thanks Ronbo)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I knew about the connector deal, and I've got a buddy that's gonna cerama-coat the bulb cover, just to see how it holds up. Same silver stuff the use to coat headers, so we'll see.

Thx for the info......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts