DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn thing won't go away! :sneaky2:

Changed my lower intake gasket last week as well as the #5 injector...drove it about 100 miles when it popped up again this evening. Plugs, wires, and coil have all been changed recently. What else could it possibly be?? I should mention I have a different PCM than stock but has not given me any problems before. Injector o rings? I'm grasping at straws!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Original was a 4606763AA no limit for VR tires. Couldn't find an identical so now I got 4606763AF

Swapped Ignition coils to no avail

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car would not crank with the old one. Unfortunately It was the last part I changed after I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't have the old one anymore but I did put it back in once to make sure it was the fix and it did not crank

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Can what cause a #43? PCM is issuing the codes, so if the PCM is confused, it can issue anything it wants to. #43 has to do with ignition, so I suggest checking your connections on your PCM, and at the coil, and at the passenger shock tower. Make sure you don't see any damaged wire loom (externally) and then either swap coils or swap PCMs... While you are checking the connections, make sure you have good looking secondary ignition coil contacts too (where the plug wires attach).

·
15,449 Posts
i don't have the old one anymore but I did put it back in once to make sure it was the fix and it did not crank
Hrrrm - o.k. Well, that is a good enough proof to know that your fix was it!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
#42 for OBD II is generally Misfire on Cyl one. Check plugs, gaskets, and injector again.

Far as I know, and even looking at the FSM wiring diagrams, the 12 volt source wire for the starter solenoid does not go through the PCM but comes right from the ignition switch.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
gee,, have you checked the compression?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The car has been running smooth as silk since I changed the gasket and replaced the injector even with the CEL...i'm wondering if the code 43 maybe leftover from before it was fixed? Does the PCM store codes and is there a way to reset or clear it besides pulling the neg battery cable?

·
15,449 Posts
According to the FSM:

Code 42 Auto shutdown relay (ASD) control circuit indicates an open or shorted circuit condition.
Code 43 Peak primary circuit current not achieved with the maximum dwell time.

if you have code 42, no idea what I can do for you.

Code 43 - that has to do with your ignition - spark plugs, coil, coil driver in the PCM.

Control of spinning the starter shouldn't have anything to do with the PCM - I'll be changing my PCM in the coming week, I'll test that when I unplug mine - before plugging it back in, I'll hit the key. The PCM only controls the shut down relay (ignition), fuel pump relay, firing of the injectors, and firing of the coils, based on inputs from things like the crank, cam, and temp sensors (and several others)...

Have you done any compression checks?
Have you tested the resistance of the coil (both primary and secondary)?
Have you checked connections at the coil (both primary and secondary)?
Have you checked connections at the front passenger strut tower?
Have you checked your connections at the PCM?

Code 42 and 43 have nothing to do with your injectors or gaskets.

But to clarify for us - the code "43" - is that OBDII code "0043", or is that the first gen CEL blink code, "43"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts