DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to run around 6 laps on the Road Atlanta Track today. The pictures and videos of course do not show but in many parts I was able to push the car alot. I ended up however spinning out after coming over a crest and braking ( slowing down because of unknown positions of cars over said hill) while in a turn which of course resulted in the car actually sliding and spinning out. I did this while on my 6th lap?

Area I spun out on, four of these tire marks are mine! I was doing atleast over 50mph when it happened too.

Coming down the hill to the chicane before the bridge, approach speed 60mph+ Entry 35-45mph ish? Once through the chicane the Lexus is much further back and only catches up on the straightaway.

Coming out of Chicane going over hill under bridge, Daves hand is out recording video I have yet to watch!

After said Bridge and hill,

On the straightaway, top speed was almost 80mph, the slowed down to 40-50 for first turn.

On the turn going into the back stretch where everyone bunches up as people give gaps for the chicane part.

Note, these pictures were taken by my friend Robert Johnson, owner of a Shelby Can am and who I bought the motor from. Road Atlanta is HUGE. He move as quickly as he could to get as many decent photos.

Car was fast in the corners, but just didn't not have the power needed to get and go, specially up the hills. The elevation changes in the track are just awesome.

I'll post some more photos of the real racing cars over the next few days as I sort through them.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here is a Video! Yes, I do remark, That this is Awesome. And it was!
There was confusion on the track out at the beginning. I ended up going wrong way once. At the point I realized proper way to correct would not been a good idea at that speed.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
wow that looks like tons of fun Devan! reminds me of all the gran turismo 5 we used to play online! lol

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
And here is a Video! Yes, I do remark, That this is Awesome. And it was!
There was confusion on the track out at the beginning. I ended up going wrong way once. At the point I realized proper way to correct would not been a good idea at that speed.

Wow! It just does not get any better than that for a sedan!! Roaring engine, screeching tires............. Way too Cool!!!
I esp loved the part where you were scrubbing the tires! :D

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
You can take turn 1 faster than you think. I haven't driven there since the reconfiguration of the track.

Please contact me when you plan to return. I've helped put plenty cars on that track, from Spitfires to Civics to Corvettes.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can take turn 1 faster than you think. I haven't driven there since the reconfiguration of the track.

Please contact me when you plan to return. I've helped put plenty cars on that track, from Spitfires to Civics to Corvettes.
Overall I Know I was able to enter/exit alot of turns much faster. But due to this actually not being a race but a Track Tour deal going as fast as we did was bending the rules. Plus with bunch of other cars on the track I did not attempt to much pushing. The first turn Everyone would start to bunch up at also, so hence a slow turn in also.

The HSR Track Touring pass was 35 bucks and gives you like,. 20 minutes of Track time. Felt like only 5 but it was awesome and worth the price and drive down.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I would love to get the M out at Mid-Ohio....
I bet it could handle it fairly well....

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I know its NOTHING like the real thing, but based on forza 3, the track layout seems relatively easy to pick up on, so at least knowing whats 'kind of there' over a crest or thru a turn would help. Again, I realize no amount of time in a video game is going to shave seconds off of a laptime, especially since there is no intrepid to use in the game, and the feel of the track thru the car would make it a little more jittery as well as the restricted view thru a sanctioned helmet.

I need to move some metal and take a vacation next spring and hit up a track day or 20...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
[/QUOTE]The HSR Track Touring pass was 35 bucks and gives you like,. 20 minutes of Track time. Felt like only 5 but it was awesome and worth the price and drive down.[/QUOTE]

Do you know, do they offer a day or weekend package kind of deal for track time?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I know its NOTHING like the real thing, but based on forza 3, the track layout seems relatively easy to pick up on, so at least knowing whats 'kind of there' over a crest or thru a turn would help. Again, I realize no amount of time in a video game is going to shave seconds off of a laptime, especially since there is no intrepid to use in the game, and the feel of the track thru the car would make it a little more jittery as well as the restricted view thru a sanctioned helmet.

I need to move some metal and take a vacation next spring and hit up a track day or 20...

In fact a virtual game would help learn the lines, but nothing prepares you for the reality knowing when you hit the wall, it's going to hurt. And cresting those hills it was hard to shake off the fear. You can hear me lay off the throttle in the vids when cresting. A game does helps but leaves so much out. The forces, the fear, excitement, so much left to be desired.

The HSR Track Touring pass was 35 bucks and gives you like,. 20 minutes of Track time. Felt like only 5 but it was awesome and worth the price and drive down.[/QUOTE]

Do you know, do they offer a day or weekend package kind of deal for track time?[/QUOTE]

I do not know. If you look of Road Atlanta's website and search up tracks days you may be able to find more info. But I highly doubt it will be cheap....

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
In fact a virtual game would help learn the lines, but nothing prepares you for the reality knowing when you hit the wall, it's going to hurt.
Only for about a week...

And cresting those hills it was hard to shake off the fear. You can hear me lay off the throttle in the vids when cresting.
Was there anyone flagging? Those guys are usually quite fast at getting a flag up if somethings happening in front of you.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only for about a week...

Was there anyone flagging? Those guys are usually quite fast at getting a flag up if somethings happening in front of you.
Not that I know of, Since I didn't really sit there or cause any damage there was no stopping int he procession. I recovered quite quickly and jumped back in line.

The speeds were not that fast, there was a pace car and a end car that kept the speed in check, Specially on the straightaways. For anyone to really go all out they would require helmets for sure.

And checking a wall doing anything over 40 would hurt more than a week. Going from that speed at any angle and stopping is not something that can be underestimated. The games just do not portray the actual danger that there is.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I have to ask, what have you got done to your suspension. What would you suggest to someone that works or does not work that you have experienced thus far with your Eagle

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to ask, what have you got done to your suspension. What would you suggest to someone that works or does not work that you have experienced thus far with your Eagle
Over a time period of 5 years, the suspension is basically new, with some non OE parts.

List

Intrax 1.8 inch Lowering Springs,
Polyurethane Sway bar bushings (all four frt and rear)
Custom made Sway bar link end poly bushings (rear links where the metal peice goes through link end.)
Special set of Polyurethane Cradle mounts, (bottom half are a harder material than the first sets poured.)
New Control Arms, Tension Srut bushings.
2001-2002 300M PHP Front Disc Brake conversion with 2G axles.
25.2mm (1inch) Rear Sway Bar (Stock rear sway bar is 15mm, Special rear sway bar is 21mm)
Still have to install the 15mm Thick Rear sway bar end links that came with sway bar.
Still needing to see if the front 300M special sway bar will bolt in and clear everything.

Currently, the only problem is the rear sway bar being thicker is causing the car to have a more over steer feeling, I need to get a thicker bar up front to balance it out. Looking at several pictures of old autocrossing you can see the difference.

In Example,

Here is my car at Autocross in Before I installed the Rear bar. Note that the car has a almost equal amount of roll and all four tires are contacting the ground.

In this Autocross, I had installed the rear bar. Now when the car is pushed, the rear nolonger rolls as easily but the front does, creating a 3 wheel effect losing traction in the rear, creating an oversteer issue.

The only major issue with creating a stiffer less yielding suspension is daily ride. My car will easily get on three wheels and rock back and forth if I enter a steep grade at a angle, and of course with the lowering bottoming out is easy. These I can deal with.

I would like to eventually make the sway bars adjustable in stiffness, So I can run different feel on street, and on Track. I am going to further start getting involved in tracking the car.

Last thing with the stiffer suspension, it makes the body shift and creak. Being one of the oldest LH cars out there she has stretch a bit. When I ever do a engine rebuild I will be installing some extra bracing on the firewall steering rack shelf area and rear strut towers.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info! Its kind of comforting to see that Im not the only one that is going along the ways of a track car vs. a road car
Been going at it for well over 5 years slowly. Some people, well alot are happy to do a few simple mods, claim great victory, or just do what I call Fashion mods (looks only) and be happy, and there are those who actually get some performance parts but will not put their car to test.

To me, a machine is only as good as it's purpose. Nothing else. My car is improving on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts