DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2wd (ACK!) 4.0 I6 Automatic.

Has leather it seems and the full overhead console. 155,700 miles on the clock.

Got it from my mom as a Christmas present really.

What it needs,

Tires
Front Pads and Rotors,
Rear Pads,
Headliner fixed,
Misfire on Cyl 1 fixed.
A/c charged
Trans Service,
Oil Change

Quick Photos.

On the trip from McDonough to here, 2 hour drive it did get 21 ish mpg. So it runs well. The misfire is only at idle. The jeep did get new plugs, wires cap and rotor recently, already made sure plugs were gapped right and are copper champions. I am hoping since the cap and rotor look to be a low quality parts I may fix it with that. Otherwise a compression check is in order.

Hoping to have a decent yard/winter carrier. And a vehicle that has more than 5 inches of ride height from the ground to the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Looks sharp! The leather is nice! I didnt know they came in 2wd. I always liked that body style. My roomate had one years ago but i think it only got 12mpg with the all-wheel-drive.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,339 Posts
Not bad!! Interior looks real clean.

If it hasnt been done already, good time to replace the crankshaft sensor and distributor pickup...common issues on those, and if she ever starts cutting out randomly, you'll need to do the PCM screw mod.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That should be one solid, comfortable vehicle. They also seem to do a pretty good job of protecting their occupants.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought new Cap and Rotor, The misfire persists. I have switched wires, and it is still there. I have done all the outside easy things to determine cause of the misfire at idle but it seems something worse may be amiss. I did look for the TSB on weak valve spring but could not find it for the 97 year model. I have found one valve spring at one of my AZ stores for 5 bucks however. I need to do a compression check but with the a/c compressor right there is makes it kinda hard.

I did however, get two rotors, and front rear brake pads for it today. Saturday I plan on putting everything on, and taking it over to the Emissions see if they will pass it. I doubt it as the battery has been unhooked for a while. But will try and if it does, it will be doing on the road soon as well.

The few times I moved it around it is weird driving it. Way different from the eagle in terms of road feel and handling. I will admit, it is quite comfy however!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*EL Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
-AZ
AFFP Luxury Group
AHT Trailer Tow Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ARD Radio Cass/CD/Amp,11 Infinity Spkr
ARNP Laredo Decor Group
A24P
BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
BCES 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRGS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel-Disc Brakes
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKDS Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKRS Cargo Net
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
CUNP Overhead Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGKS 4-Spd. Automatic 42RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DMEP 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEGP Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEPP Flipper Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
GRMP Left Power Heated Mirror
GSMP Right Power Heated Mirror
GTMP Power Heated Mirrors
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMS Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGAS Hood Insulation
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JKAS Locking Glove Box
JPAS Power Windows
JPBS Power Locks
LACS Illuminated Entry
LAGS Warning Chime
LAZP Vehicle Information Center
LBBS Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
LDAS Underhood Lamp
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
LMGP Automatic Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
LSAP Security Alarm
MDA Front License Plate Bracket
MFZP Bright Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MWGS Roof Rack
NAA Federal Emissions
NHMS Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PR4 Flame Red Clear Coat
QR4S Flame Red Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAZP AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio
RCGP 6 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCVS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBGS Compact Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRTP P225/75R15 OWL All Season Tires
TZAS Goodyear Brand Tires
WJ6S 15X7.0 Sport Aluminum Wheels
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, Jeep is legal now.

The misfire is still there but smoothing out. Or I am just dreaming. The ABS system was scanned and found that I have a "ABS Pump not running" code. checked fuses and they are good. So no easy fix on that.

Noticed today while on a extended drive the Transmission likes to make a whining sound while in 4th. Checking the fluid shows it has not been changed in a bit. Hoping a service will make it happy again.

Otherwise, got her cleaned up and with a few exceptions is in great shape.

Few new pictures!

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Your Trep does great in the snow because it is FWD - granted, with good tires on the truck, and enough weight in the back, it should do well enough - but no better than any other rear wheel drive car with good tires. Same with off roading. It will have better overall suspension travel, but I wouldn't say "It's a Jeep, so it is built for offroad use."

Built nice for creature comforts though, Devan.

Great gift, and certainly looks like a nice Jeep no matter what.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2WD jeep can further off road than most other 2WD SUVs in the same area. And that is a Fact. Being 2wd has only a portion on the off roading abilities. Alot of the time 4wd is not even used that much with going offload. Also, the suspension is the same basic setup between the two, just the 2wd drive lacking the additional components. All one really has to do is disconnect the sway bar links and even more flex is attainable in an offroad situation. I do plan on trying the jeep on some trails, but will def get some recovery hooks put on it first along with decent tires.

I've chatted with several Jeep guys who said even with just 2wd it still is a very capable trail vehicle with the proper equipment. And that having a locker or atleast a LSD in the read helps it out even more.

Regardless,

I swapped the Injector harnesses on the 1 and 2 injectors with absolutely no difference in idle quality. I do not know how that works out right but it seems to.The jeep still has a misfire at idle which is majorly pissing me off. I cannot get the compression tester we have to work at the end of the tester is not long enough to reach the threads deep in the head. So I still haven't been able to do a Compression test.

Tomorrow I attempt to do a Trans service and pray that whining noise goes away. If it continues I will just wait for it to break. After that I don't know what I will do with the jeep.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hehehhe, Steph - you sure you want a 2wd (rwd) Jeep in Canada in winter?

I want a 2wd in Canada as well!

snows and a limited slip no problems.

17" factory wheels and low profile tires for the summer "street rated package"

Intake manifold may have a leak or crack, i chased on my old New Yorker, found it by spraying carb cleaner over the manifold and the idle picked up ,thus finding a crack.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Adding a limited slip changes the rule of the game - yes, having a limitted slip, or having it "properly equipped" changes the fact that it is as now a bone stock 2wd Jeep that will perform no better than a rwd sedan in the snow (ground clearance not withstanding - I can't argue that!)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts