DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, Because of the iffy looking fluid, and whining noise I dropped the pan to do the service.

Found some decent size flakes, and shavings, I've seen worse but I do not care for it. So, if the Trans goes I am just going to dump it for sure. If it was a 4x4 I would try and keep it but man this sucks. It's nice to work on a car without having to jack it up.

And no, I am not going to dump it on some body knowing what I know. The trans will fail on me not anyone else.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So finished it up, Jeep shifts fine, strong no slipping. Just a howling, almost wheel bearing noise while in fourth. Mostly notice it around 40mph. I can avoid the noise by keeping the jeep from shifting into 4th (turning OD off)

In a bid to win my heart back I guess the ABS is running fine now. Before it wasn't then all sudden it's happy. No clue why.

Guess I'll be driving it til it breaks. I don't think I will be doing any tires or Intake gasket anytime soon however.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did intake/exhaust gasket few days ago. The jeep still has a slightly rough idle, but no where as bad as before. I cleaned alot of buildup (scrapped off with a flat heads really) on the intake ports and intake runners. Jeep def has alot more grunt and throttle response now.

Trans will still make a whine noise in 4th, but since I have been using it to go back and forth to work I keep in in 3rd with no issues. I really want to get some decent used tires on it soon. Even though it is 2wd I am itching to get it dirty a bit.

Overall I enjoy driving it. I get the sense of freedom I do not get in the eagle. Bumps, puddles, and other road factors I would try to avoid in the eagle I can easily tackle with the jeep.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, roughly 200 ish mile later the Transmission still makes a noise but have yet to see any negative side effects. I may drop the pan in the spring and re check for shavings.

Otherwise, I did a Intake/Exhaust gasket. The idle seems better but still rough. I still need to get the rear rotors either replaced or cut. Headliner still needs attention. The message center seem to dislike the cold, it has been freaking out a few times when the jeep is extremely cold.

So far, Just extremely short trips I am avg. 13 mpg in city. That is basically idling a bit, then driving half a mile to work and idling a bit, then turned off. Then repeat, rinse, and repeat again.

Still need to find some used tires for it.

Also been thinking of painting the lower cladding and bumper with some truck bedliner stuff, give it a rough look.

Other than that, still runs fine. During the gasket job I cleaned a large amount of buildup around the ports. Alot more throttle responsive and perhaps bit quicker now as well.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Went to the junkyard and grab some Factory Goodies.

Front Recovery/Tow Hooks! For only $18 for both.

I will eventually take the jeep off road is some mild manner. And having something for some one to pull me out with in case I get stuck or broken down is something I wanted to do. Now I need some cheap, all terrain tires!

And as you can see I also got a Factory Fog light. I need one more (kinda hard) the relay for the junction box. And the even harder item to find, an Auto-Headlight-Foglamp control switch. The only Jeep at the yard that had a Sw the same as mine with Foglamp sw was non auto.

The misfire is still there. Sometimes not bad, sometimes bad enough to trip the CEL. Chances are it is a burned exhuast valve. Still need to find a cheap proper compression tester adapter to use to make sure.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not bad!! Interior looks real clean.

If it hasnt been done already, good time to replace the crankshaft sensor and distributor pickup...common issues on those, and if she ever starts cutting out randomly, you'll need to do the PCM screw mod.
I have a question about this. As an FYI, I have also had a '93 Jeep GC (4WD), which went almost 200,000 miles before a transmission failure. It was replaced with a 2001, which now has about 105,000 miles.

My question is about the problem described in this quote. My friend has a 1996 Grand Cherokee with under 100,000 and is suffering with the stalling problem. He has done a number of things, incuding the PCM screw mod, and nothing has helped. Does anyone have any ideas about what to try? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So, after meeting a new friend of sorts he suggested a quick way to test compression, was to unplug the coil, and crank the jeep. And if the engine did not crank over at the same speed all the time but had a spot where it sped up then lack of compression would be a huge hit.

Needless to say I did it and sure enough it had a moment where it will crank and spin just a bit faster it seems.

Dangit.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
True Story, After buying some neat rims for the Eagle, and having the jeep sit for bout an hour. I started it up to go to work and it flay out ran rough than died. I re started it and it and it seemed happier than normal, and the CEL was off (been on for a week for the misfire on cyl 1.) and now, day 4 and she runs way smoother and gets slightly better gas mileage.

So, tomorrow to celebrate shes getting dirty in the woods!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You have had it a while... how does it ride and handle?

I've driven some ,better than others.

Looking to replace my caravan sport 2wd gc is on the short list.
Surprisingly she handles well. Although I am reluctant to take it on the mountain like I do the eagle of course. Although there is alot of body roll. I am impressed with the brakes and seems to stop pretty good for a vehicle of that size. However she is a bit bouncy, which I am assuming are the original 150K+ shocks, which I have two new ones for the rear ready to be put in.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts