DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to be the guinea pig for this..this is pretty much for experimental purposes..but i do like it

I love it..looks good and is well made..only thing it doesnt do is connect directly to the TB..but i bont see how that is such a bad thing..It was a pretty simple install..Im 17 so if i can do it you can too..i enjoy it..and it is a kick in the pants..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well. looks are one thing but function is another.

1. If it does not replace the connector at the Throttle body, its pretty much worthless.(thats where most of the restriction in the stock intake is, remove it and look)

2. Its sitting right over the exhaust manifold, your going to heat soak real baddly (metal is useless in an intake due to its high rate of heat exchange) (wrap it with some insulating tape is your only option with that intake, but that would ruin its useless looks)

3. Air filter is sucking hot air from engine compartment.

4. Does it have any brackes other than connecting to the TB? if not your asking for trouble.

5. No band clamps on the blue connector, it will fall apart.

6. Its hitting the intake manifold , rattle and down the road, intake manifold failure.

7. Long clear plastic hose for the breather is not rated for engine compartment use and the fitting is on the wrong side. (if it falls off at that lenghth and touches the exhaust, which it will, its a fire hazard)

Im sorry, but it looks good but is probably going to slow your car down ove the stock setup. You think the car is faster because you hear the intake noise, but that design is a waste.

Im sorry, you should have got one designed for the car, not a generic fit. (that is generic)
There is a reason members of this board spent long hours designing a intake that fits our cars, and the intake you got is the reason why.

It is not a cold air intake at all, its at best a slightly less restrictve intake but heat soak will far outweigh any gains it may offer.

You should have listened to the senior members here before you bought that.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
GR8WHT said:
6. Its hitting the intake manifold , rattle and down the road, intake manifold failure.
Which pic is that in?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woo hoo..MR.Lister himself..

It comes with brackets..

Im gonna clamp the blue connectrs tomorrow..

It doesnt rattle

And it makes no noise what so ever..so it cant be my imagination..

Heatshield is in the making..

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Nice work. It does look nice indeed and as for more power....well we all know that isn't the best mod. to do but it helps......with a heatshield (I need one too) anyways, nice job. :fun_08:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
GR8WHT said:
Well. looks are one thing but function is another..

Last i checked, these were family cars, so no matter what looks will always prevail over true function

GR8WHT said:
1. If it does not replace the connector at the Throttle body, its pretty much worthless.(thats where most of the restriction in the stock intake is, remove it and look)
just bore it out, or buy a piece of PVC PIPE at home depot and replace it

GR8WHT said:
2. Its sitting right over the exhaust manifold, your going to heat soak real baddly (metal is useless in an intake due to its high rate of heat exchange) (wrap it with some insulating tape is your only option with that intake, but that would ruin its useless looks)
as i remember the only difference a Good Intake makes is about 7HP, and this one might be 5hp... WOW, that 2 HP really makes a big deal.

GR8WHT said:
3. Air filter is sucking hot air from engine compartment.

when driving, the air will be cool anyway, not much covering the bottom of the engine compartment.

GR8WHT said:
4. Does it have any brackes other than connecting to the TB? if not your asking for trouble.

HOW? as long as your motor mounts are good, it shouldnt move that much

GR8WHT said:
5. No band clamps on the blue connector, it will fall apart.

TRUE, they are about 2$ a piece at any hardware store

GR8WHT said:

I missed that too

GR8WHT said:
7. Long clear plastic hose for the breather is not rated for engine compartment use and the fitting is on the wrong side. (if it falls off at that lenghth and touches the exhaust, which it will, its a fire hazard)
its too far onto the connector to fall off, and if it does, it will only melt, not burst into flames

GR8WHT said:
Im sorry, but it looks good but is probably going to slow your car down ove the stock setup. You think the car is faster because you hear the intake noise, but that design is a waste.
looks just like everyone elses, except for the chrome and the heat sheild

GR8WHT said:
Im sorry, you should have got one designed for the car, not a generic fit. (that is generic)
There is a reason members of this board spent long hours designing a intake that fits our cars, and the intake you got is the reason why.
looks like a good fit to me

GR8WHT said:
It is not a cold air intake at all, its at best a slightly less restrictve intake but heat soak will far outweigh any gains it may offer.
nah it wont, show me #'s, no one has tested these intakes, only JOEs vs. K&N vs. Stock

GR8WHT said:
You should have listened to the senior members here before you bought that.

translation... you shouldve given him your money before someone else got less of it for a equally comparable product

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
r0meo021 said:
translation... you shouldve given him your money before someone else got less of it for a equally comparable product
i think we have a winner. just like when Tim bought his FIPK...oh...why not a J-intake? sometimes on here it seems like to be a member, you only have one choice of things to get...and the funny thing is that its not Joe who does it...its everyone else...Joe is cool as hell and understands what happens, but some people on here act like to be a member, you HAVE to get what is made by members.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
r0meo021 said:
nah it wont, show me #'s, no one has tested these intakes, only JOEs vs. K&N vs. Stock
IIII don't know about all that buddy. Reason being is that I think forescore and many moons ago when Mr Lister made and sold 2nd gen intakes (referred to as L-intakes) one of the members here who bought one actually went and got his car dynoed.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
crombie said:
IIII don't know about all that buddy. Reason being is that I think forescore and many moons ago when Mr Lister made and sold 2nd gen intakes (referred to as L-intakes) one of the members here who bought one actually went and got his car dynoed.

BUT did he put on the intake in this thread?

if so then i am wrong

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Hey Imadreadhead. that intake looks great!!! That's what matters right... to be a little different than eveyone else?
Damn your engine bay is clean! I just installed my "intake" today aswell... not the ebay one, but different than the main $200 ones, just like yourself.
Keep up with the modding!

·
Registered
328 Posts
1. Im not selling anything, just pointed out a few problems
2. Pic 2 its hitting the back corner of the intake manifold
3. "It will only melt" why should it even have a chance to "only melt"
4. Yes it is Mr. Lister that spent a lot of money to design, dyno test and come up with the most bang for the buck you can get. To help everone here out. I dynoed metal intakes, and as soon as the exhaust got up to operating temps it generated less HP and had higher intake temps (measured on drbIII) than the stock system, so its not a Cold air intake.
Joe does great work, and anyone here that slights him is not too sharp.
There are limited performance parts for our cars, if you just want bling, then that intake (apart from no mounts, clamps, and "melts hoses) is just fine.
You can buy anything you want, but if you want the most performance for the trep that you can get, the intake must be coated (as Joe's) or all plastic as K&N's.
I know 5-8 hp is not much, but it's better than less hp than stock.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 20 ich rims..I know i am getting no where fast..so I bought this one mainly for looks..yup yup

And yes ROMEO21...I do feel better..

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Looks Good Dready!

Here are a couple things for your to-do-list:
1. Bore out the restriction in the connector to the TB. It's easy, and makes a real difference.
2. Finish your heatshield and get it in place.
3. Don't listen to the haters! I get a little critical at times, but man, some of these guys get a little too carried away!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't really buy that the heat shield does much of anything...when you are driving down the road there is so much air being circulated that I doubt the heatshield drops the temperature more than a degree or two.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey this is just a stupid question, but did you try mounting the intake the other way around, just thinking it looks like it might fit better if the solid one piece with the bend is sappsta gotto the TB coupler.

The intake looks good (beyond my wondering of the mounting) and like said before needs a heat shield.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
ChicagoTRS said:
I don't really buy that the heat shield does much of anything...when you are driving down the road there is so much air being circulated that I doubt the heatshield drops the temperature more than a degree or two.

EXACTLY!! they were only tested in an enclosed room, not with 60mph air coming through the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sport/SoundEdition said:
Hey this is just a stupid question, but did you try mounting the intake the other way around, just thinking it looks like it might fit better if the solid one piece with the bend is sappsta gotto the TB coupler.

The intake looks good (beyond my wondering of the mounting) and like said before needs a heat shield.

I prolly do have it one backwords.im gonna try it the other way as soon as i can..i think it came set up like the way you said..but..i flipped it around..seemed to work better..but ill try it the other way..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts