DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched the forums, posted my own threads and still cannont not decide what to do. To i leave my 2.7l ecu in my now 3.5l engine car, or do i take the time and money to get a 3.5 ecu. I was also given another idea to send my ecu away to kenne bell for 350 bucks and have them remap it. So i have my 2.7 ecu in my hand and i have 3 options chuck it out the window and get a new 3.5l ecu, put it back in my 3.5l car, or send it to kenne bell. So anyone who has experience, with this problem please let me know quickly.

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright so i was talking to interpidblurple (kris) (probablly on of the most helpful guys on di.net. And he was telling me i should go get a 3.5 ecu. Now this is where i get confused. I have an 02 trep se, but an 03 3.5l concorde engine. So i just need a 3,5l ecu right. Just need to make sure before i go spend all this money.

Thnaks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
JJasinski7 said:
Alright so i was talking to interpidblurple (kris) (probablly on of the most helpful guys on di.net. And he was telling me i should go get a 3.5 ecu. Now this is where i get confused. I have an 02 trep se, but an 03 3.5l concorde engine. So i just need a 3,5l ecu right. Just need to make sure before i go spend all this money.

Thnaks

Your only problem with using a different PCM - 2002s are a combined unit - is that you'd need to have it reprogrammed for the key you are using otherwise it will not recognize the key and will not run the engine - anti-theft system.

If you want one, I have a 2002 300M 3.5 PCM for sale. PM me for details if you wish.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I ran my 3.5 with the 2.7 ECU for a few weeks and the difference between a 3.5 ECU and the 2.7 was dramatic. Due to the different fuel curve for the 3.5 vs 2.7 I would upgrade to 3.5 ECU. By the way it is a lot cheaper to upgrade than to run the Kenne Bell unit.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm still using my 2.7 ECU with a 3.2. Haven't tried a 3.2 ECU, so I can't make any comparisons, but the car performs great!

·
Registered
843 Posts
kenne bell will only remap a 2.7 ecu to a 2.7 performance spec they will not remap it to a 3.5. There answer to why not was "sorry we do not have any products to fit your application".

·
Registered
791 Posts
Interesting discussion.

Kenne Bell probably just doesn't want to sell you a product that hasn't been tested. I doubt thier product research covered engine swap situations. Besides, the Kenne Bell "upgrade" is questionable, so I wouldn't spend money on it...

I've never studied the difference in the two engines or the ECM's, but theoretically (not concidering functional differences such as fuel injector limitations, fuel pressure available, difference in input/output signals) the ECM should work fine with either engine and vice-verse. During normal operation the "fuel Curve" is based on input from the O2 and MAP sensors. WOT should be the same also. The problem times would be during warm-up and "limp-in" modes.

I don't remember this being an issue in the 1st GEN. With the H.O 3.5 though, you may be looking at some functional difference, like a fuel injector difference. For example, the 3.5 injectors may be designed to work at pulse widths that the 2.7 liter injectors can't so the 2.7 ECM isn't using the full capability of the 3.5 intectors. This would explain why a 3.2 (very similar to 2.7) runs correctly on a 2.7 ECM, but the H.O. 3.5 will operate on the 2.7 ECM, but performs better with the proper ECM.

This, of course, is all opinion. the best thing to do is take the advice of someone who has actually done it and try for yourself. IF you got the money..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright so i buy my 3.5(o yeah and its not HO)ecm/pcm. then get it reformated by ecudirect(does any one know any one else besides them?) then i take the new ecm/pcm to my local dodge dealershhip they reprogram it, i just need to bring my key and vin number correct? Do i need the vin number on the engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts