DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

41 - 60 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Get a Tranny first. LOL!
I've already got it lined up. I'm going tomorrow to pick up the written estimate to take to the bank. I'm taking out a small loan from my credit union to have the trans professionally rebuilt at www.claycountytrans.com I'm going to have it done, and done right.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
Sweet! What's cool is, this has that same 5x114.3 bolt pattern. I still have my full size spare from the Intrepid that fits lol

I would love to have my 'Doba looking like this one, white walls and all...

(this pic makes me drool... seriously!)

Thats wicked. Perfect wheels for it IMO. Love that look. Class. You NEED to bring it to the next NC meet.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
I've already got it lined up. I'm going tomorrow to pick up the written estimate to take to the bank. I'm taking out a small loan from my credit union to have the trans professionally rebuilt at www.claycountytrans.com I'm going to have it done, and done right.
I'm sure they know, but make sure the trans cooler gets tested and flushed, if it has one; at least ask them for peace of mind. If it doesnt, it would be a good idea to add one.

You dont want a bunch of old crud from the previous trans coming out of that old cooler.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Cooler Crud! Eeewwww!

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm sure they know, but make sure the trans cooler gets tested and flushed, if it has one; at least ask them for peace of mind. If it doesnt, it would be a good idea to add one.

You dont want a bunch of old crud from the previous trans coming out of that old cooler.
It has one, and absolutely.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
You know it's good. It's a Polack owner! Just like me!

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Wonder if something simple like the filter fell off and is laying in the pan and the pump can't get fluid?

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Wonder if something simple like the filter fell off and is laying in the pan and the pump can't get fluid?
lol I wish it was something simple like that. I doubt it would operate cold like it does if that were the case.

Lucky for me, it turns out I know one of the main techs at this shop. He's been a regular customer of mine for years.. I'm sure he'll be honest with me if it's something ridiculously simple. Either way, it's getting fixed.

The next thing I want to do is upgrade the timing gears in the 318 from the factory "nylon" sprockets, to a nice set of double roller steel ones and a new chain... THAT I can do myself.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Gear it Up!

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got the car back yesterday. Yesterday morning actually, had to take it back for a slight band adjustment because the 2nd to 3rd shift points were off a little. Now it's perfect.

I have a rebuilt TorqueFlite 904 with a 2 year/24k mile warranty!

New/reman torque converter, pump, reverse/low band, kickdown flex (high?)band, clutch packs, valve body seals, new filter and fluid.

What happened: The main thing that led to this transmission's demise, was the fact that this car had a towing package on it. It still has the Class III/IV hitch on it. (Which I SHOULD have taken as a sign before I bought it.. but the car was so nice, I pretended that I didn't see the hitch lol) The original owner used to tow a huge boat or travel home with it.

So after the car sat for some time, barely driven, then I get it and start driving it daily for the first week, it busted the reverse band (that was the loud bang I heard putting it in reverse the morning of the day it died) plus, the pump seals were shot, and the over run clutch packs from all the towing etc etc.

Another thing was the teeth on the flywheel were badly worn from all the years of starting, and there was a big crack on the edge of the flywheel itself.
(I meant to get a picture of that but forgot - also meant to take a pic of the new torque converter because it was a pretty blue!)

And, the car needed a new starter... but get this, not because the original, 1980 starter motor itself went out, but the housing and mounting assembly (the two long bolts) of the starter needed replacing. I think that says a lot about the quality of the original 1980 starter motor! Still cranking!

Anyway, all water under the bridge now!

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Maybe. You might be able to "Fine Tune" the dial to get to that frequency. Then set one of your preset buttons to it.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Maybe. You might be able to "Fine Tune" the dial to get to that frequency. Then set one of your preset buttons to it.
I reckon they're inexpensive enough to go head'n try...

41 - 60 of 276 Posts