DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

81 - 100 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So Charlene was giving me some fuel issues yesterday. She decided to cut off on me, like she ran out of gas... took a few minutes of playing with her to get her started up again. I guess I still need to replace that fuel filter, and probably the pump.

For the time being, I threw a can of Seafoam in the tank to eliminate any moisture.. and wow! What a difference! This stuff is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Still having fuel delivery issues. One of my buddies on the FMJ body forums thinks it might be the 4" long jumper line at the rear (from the tank to the main line) may be rotted and sucking air. There's air getting in somewhere... either that or it's trash in the tank? Idk, I replaced the filter, but that didn't change anything.

She'll run fine for a while, then just die. Then won't start for a while until she cools off. I guess I'll have to pull the tank to get to these "jumper lines". Too bad they didn't make an access panel in the trunk!

Maybe looking at having to replace all the fuel lines. Sending unit? I wonder if that's part of the problem.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
She started acting up last time exactly like this when I had the same exact amount of gas in the tank. (About 7/8ths full)

When I remove the gas cap, it releases a bunch of pressure as well, so I wonder if I just need a new vented gas cap.

Fuel system not venting properly... vaporlocked?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Ed-Doba!

Do these cars have a Fuel Vapor Recovery System? I'm assuming they do as starting in the early 70s all the emissions sheet starting going in and killed horsepower, etc. I wouldn't think you actually have a gas cap that vents to atmosphere unless it's a safety thing. Must be a path for the pressure in the fuel system to vent pressure to a charcoal canister or similar. Check your FSM for the Emissions system.

Also with that carb conversion maybe the PO altered something related to the Emissions/Fuel system that's related to your problem.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ed-Doba!

Do these cars have a Fuel Vapor Recovery System? I'm assuming they do as starting in the early 70s all the emissions sheet starting going in and killed horsepower, etc. I wouldn't think you actually have a gas cap that vents to atmosphere unless it's a safety thing. Must be a path for the pressure in the fuel system to vent pressure to a charcoal canister or similar. Check your FSM for the Emissions system.

Also with that carb conversion maybe the PO altered something related to the Emissions/Fuel system that's related to your problem.
Yeah, it has the canister. I pulled the "vent line" going to it to see if it'd make any difference but it didn't.

I have an FSM that I bought from an Ebay seller on it's way... should be here this week sometime. Definitely a must have for this car.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Sounds like you've got an issue related to the fuel tank venting to the emissions system. Without knowing what plumbing/components there are who knows? Guess you'll have to wait for the FSM?

Again...the PO might have removed/plugged/disconnected some Emissions lines that are affecting this.

Is there an Emissions sticker in the engine compartment that shows the basic diagram of the Emissions system? That will tell you how all the lines were hooked up originally and you might be able to do some checks with that.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Nah, there's no sticker. The FSM will definitely help. Still, I'm not sure what was supposed to be changed with the lean burn to ECU conversion. So things that aren't connected, but are still there might be that way intentionally.

I've also read about the carb getting too hot and "percolating" the fuel, causing a vapor lock like condition. Idk.. I'm just going to have to tinker with it.

Another thought, and tip that I've read about, is replacing the charcoal canister with one out of a newer vehicle if I suspect that the vapor/venting is the problem.

Or.. maybe I need to have the carb rebuilt (or replaced)

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
It's weird, cuz right now I can go out there and she'll start right up. Now that she's cool and been sitting for a few hours. And she'll run perfect, like nothing ever happened lol..

I might try to siphon some gas out of the tank. It sure seems like this level in the tank (about 7/8ths full) is where it starts having issues. Of course this could all be just my imagination.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Sure sounds like Vapor Lock symptoms.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
It's weird, cuz right now I can go out there and she'll start right up. Now that she's cool and been sitting for a few hours. And she'll run perfect, like nothing ever happened lol..

I might try to siphon some gas out of the tank. It sure seems like this level in the tank (about 7/8ths full) is where it starts having issues. Of course this could all be just my imagination.
Need to do some tests when it wont start. See what is missing, spark or fuel---you know you have compression. It could be a faulty coil that is not working properly when hot. Check it for spark when it wont start, if it has spark, take the air cleaner off so you can see into the carb. Manually operate the throttle lever and see if the jets are spraying fuel. Go from there.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
Don't forget that Electronic Ignition Conversion and it's Module, etc.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Need to do some tests when it wont start. See what is missing, spark or fuel---you know you have compression. It could be a faulty coil that is not working properly when hot. Check it for spark when it wont start, if it has spark, take the air cleaner off so you can see into the carb. Manually operate the throttle lever and see if the jets are spraying fuel. Go from there.

It does look like a very old coil. Next time it does this, I'll have to check for spark immediately while it's still hot.

What do you think about the pressure in my tank though Dan? When I take the gas cap off, there's a bunch of pressure released. Doesn't seem normal. I was thinking my vented gas cap might need to be replaced.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
It does look like a very old coil. Next time it does this, I'll have to check for spark immediately while it's still hot.

What do you think about the pressure in my tank though Dan? When I take the gas cap off, there's a bunch of pressure released. Doesn't seem normal. I was thinking my vented gas cap might need to be replaced.
I'm kind of rusty on those old emissions systems, but some of them used to pressurize the fuel tank to charge the evap canister (IIRC, not sure on this one)....some pressure is normal. Dr. Tom may have better insight on that one.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,517 Posts
What? No Coil On Plug? WTF?

Just Kidding!

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I'm kind of rusty on those old emissions systems, but some of them used to pressurize the fuel tank to charge the evap canister (IIRC, not sure on this one)....some pressure is normal. Dr. Tom may have better insight on that one.

It seems like an abnormal amount of pressure to me. I've been doing some reading on the subject and have read some horror stories about gas tanks actually collapsing from being over pressurized. I know the gas cap that comes with the car is vented by design, but idk if it's working right or not. I tried blowing through it and could slightly. Might pick up a replacement just to rule that out.

Wouldn't you know the car started right up this morning, and I let her sit and idle for a good 10-15 minutes. Running great, like nothing's wrong.

I did decide to leave her at the house today and caught a ride to work with a coworker.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I'm off again tomorrow, so I plan on trying to figure out what the issue is (if there still is one - it might have just been some trash or water in the gas idk!)

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Frustrating as hell when it seems fine starting up in the morning, runs great, let it sit and idle and warm up. It'll continue running fine.

Then, I'll try to drive it off somewhere and it'll leave me stranded. lol

I need to make a remote start switch under the hood somewhere, where I can crank it and check for spark when there's no help around...

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I guess I need to quit trying to chance it, and use the GF's Honda until I can figure out what's going on. I took her out this morning after she started right up, and sat and warmed up in my driveway for a good 10-15 minutes running perfectly. And she even ran perfectly up to wal-mart where I went to pick up some items for the GF. Up till I pulled into the parking spot she sputtered out and died. So I just put her in park and went into wal-mart.

When I came back out (I reckon 10-15 minutes later) she started right up, and I proceeded to make my way back home. Got about 2 miles away from Walmart and she shuts down while on the road doing about 40mph. I muscle her off the road and there I sat for the next hour - hour and a 1/2 or so, cranking, fiddling, cranking and fiddling some more until eventually she started up again and I made my merry way home. Pull in the driveway at home and put her in park, this time she's idling nice and smooth. Running perfectly! So I just let her run... for a good 5 minutes more, while I'm standing here in my garage door watching her run... then she just cuts off again. Jump in and try to start her back up.. and nothing. Probably going to be another hour before that happens.

Keep in mind that the tank still has a little over 3/4 of a tank.

So here's my thoughts and guesses;

Either or all of

A. There's something in the gas (water, trash,) or air being sucked in at a line somewhere, like the jumper at the tank that a guy on the FMJ bodies forums is suggesting (will require dropping the tank), and making its way up to the carb.

B. Something is getting hot. Either the carb is getting hot and "percolating" the fuel (like I've read about) or the coil is getting hot like Dan suggested. I haven't been able to check for spark while it's hot yet, but that would explain it starting up after it cools down for a while -- getting the coil down to a cooler temperature to operate properly.

C. The fuel system is building up pressure and not venting properly. After she's been running for a while, I can take the gas cap off and it releases a whole bunch of pressure (like "whoooosshshsh") which leads me to believe there's some kind of vapor lock going on here. Maybe the pressure is to much for the old mechanical pump to fight and it starves the carb causing the shut down. After the pressure stabilizes for an hour or so, she'll start back up again. Hell, C could be causing A (a bunch of pressure causing air to be sucked in somewhere?)

D. Maybe the carb just needs to be rebuilt?

My FSM arrived today! The bummer is that it doesn't include the "Fuel System" or the "Emissions System"... I've got to get the "Engine Performance Manual" for that... ugh

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
Almost to the point of changing out intake manifold and putting a 4 barrel on there. Thought there was a module of some sort (IIRC drivers fender) which caused a LOT of no start failures back in the day....Do think heat had something to do with it.

Wonder if more info might be available on one of the older 318/360/440 forums???? Got to bedriving you nuts.

81 - 100 of 276 Posts