DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

101 - 120 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Almost to the point of changing out intake manifold and putting a 4 barrel on there. Thought there was a module of some sort (IIRC drivers fender) which caused a LOT of no start failures back in the day....Do think heat had something to do with it.

Wonder if more info might be available on one of the older 318/360/440 forums???? Got to bedriving you nuts.
I've been posting over at the FMJ body forums (F, M, and J body cars - Cordoba, Mirada, Diplomat, Aspen, Volare, Gran Fury, New Yorker etc) There's some guys over there suggesting some things (like that fuel jumper line at the tank - which I'll need to empty the tank and drop to get to), and are real knowledgeable about these cars.

I'm just trying a few different things while I avoid siphoning all of the gas out of the tank. I do like the idea of a new intake and 4bbl.

The module you're thinking of was probably the "lean burn" carb setup, which this car has been converted to an electronic ignition system. Come to think of it, maybe that is getting hot and malfunctioning?

·
Registered
13,702 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
I say slap a 440 in there with a 4 barrel. Funk it!

Reactions: Intrep_ED

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Replacing electronic ignition completely in 1970s-1980s Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth cars and trucks

My car runs good when it's cold but stalls once it warms up? What gives?

Time to start picking some old Mopar diehards brains, must be some groups/cruiseins down there.

I still think the Lean Burn system is a big part of your problem and not 100% sure what previous owner did when he went with Mallory system.
Thanks Hank. I'm going to figure this out eventually.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
So does your car have the stock Mopar ignition for a Non Lean Burn car or at least the conversion used Mopar parts? Or was it aftermarket ignition parts installed to get rid of the Lean Burn?

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
I feel your pain. Maybe reach out to Ryan Sneke Eyz on 300M forum. He has a couple old Mopars, maybe he has run into similiar problems or maybe knows someone who does. LOL he and Scott have a brand new crate motor Scott won as a door prize at Carlisle a few years back........sent you a PM.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts

·
Registered
13,702 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
Tough call whether you have a Fuel/carb problem or an ignition problem.

Wonder why the PO didn't go with a standard 2 barrel carb with an electronic choke? Or is it the original Lean Burn carb with the choke cable added? Never know with these "Conversions"!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
It appears a lot of the "Lean Burn Conversions" relate only to the ignition and the original carb is left in place.

Ed-Doba...do you see any wiring going to the carburetor? Or "block off" plates?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
Reman 2 bbl carb on the Rock is $144.79 + $50 core. Doesn't say if it's Lean Burn equipped.

Maybe check Jegs for a new carb?

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
It appears a lot of the "Lean Burn Conversions" relate only to the ignition and the original carb is left in place.

Ed-Doba...do you see any wiring going to the carburetor? Or "block off" plates?
I do believe it is the original carb (it's the Carter 2 bbl) There's a couple wires here and there. (I'm trying to upload some pics to my Imgr)

The ECU is an "Echlin" brand "TP 51"

I think I just squashed the "something is getting hot" theory. The car has been sitting for a good three hours, nice and cool, so I decided to go out and see what she'd do... started right up, only this time, it idled for about 30-45 seconds, then shut down. So now I'm leaning back toward fuel delivery.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
No love on Jegs. Cheapest carb is a reman Edelbrock for $299!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
Tried starting/running it with the gas cap off when it acts up?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
Maybe look into getting the same Carter Series 2 bbl but without the "Lean Burn" ****? Should be a carb out there with a standard electric choke that would fit.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Tried starting/running it with the gas cap off when it acts up?
I have. My guy over at the F/M/J body forums suggested that after replacing the "jumper line" going from the tank to the main line. He's suggesting that maybe that jumper line is dry rotted/cracked and sucking air. I'm gonna have to empty this tank and pull it to find out.

Maybe look into getting the same Carter Series 2 bbl but without the "Lean Burn" ****? Should be a carb out there with a standard electric choke that would fit.
Or a rebuild kit? I think I could do it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
You've been "Burned"....."Lean Burned"!

Sorry...couldn't help it!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
I'd dump the Lean Burn carb entirely and not even bother trying a rebuild but that's just me.

I'm assuming the only difference between what you have and a standard Carter 2 bbl would be the castings or additions for the additional sensors. The internal fuel circuitry would be the same. Wondering what they did to eliminate the Electric/Mechanical choke on the Lean Burn? Whether the carb body is a different casting to eliminate the choke or a simple block off.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
Better start sourcing the other FSM manual parts. Looking at your picture of the original manual it appears to be just the "Body" section. You need at least the "Powertrain" part or whatever they called it then.

Sorry...I don't have any complete FSM manual sets other than for an LH car!

101 - 120 of 276 Posts