DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
19,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around online, trying to piece together a decent PC. Back and forth, comparing prices and blah blah blah... when I decided; the hell with it!

Drove down to our local CompUSA, walked in with a $2000 budget and started shopping. This is what I bought:

CPU - Intel Core i7 920*

Motherboard - Evga X58 SLI LE

RAM - 6 GB (3x2GB) Corsair DDR3 (1600mhz)

Video card - Nvidia GeForce GTX295 :biggrin:

Power Supply - 850w Ultra X3

Case - CoolerMaster HAF 932 full tower w/push button release HD trays, 3 huge 230mm fans and one 140mm fan

HD - I went ahead and pick up an OEM WD 1TB SATA drive cuz they were only $89 (I'll be using my 74gb raptor for my OS)

Got one of these too

I originally planned on buying a PCI IDE controller card and cramming as many of my biggest IDE drives into it as I could for mega storage, but decided to keep my new machine clutter free and bought one of these to read my IDEs:

Oh, and last but not least, my new display...

Samsung T240HD monitor w/digital tv tuner and all the other bells and whistles... Including speakers!

Got out the door with everything above for $2139 (just a little over my intended budget) I think I did pretty good!*

Now... Time to build this beast!*

Oh yeah,

OS - Getting Win7 ultimate from Ronbo!*

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Nice. I have that very same Monitor/HDTV Ed. Ooops..I have the T260HD...not the T240HD. Same type monitor HDTV as yours..just slightly larger.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll see if I can't get the OS out ahead of time for you to complete the build.

·
Registered
780 Posts
wow that'll be a sweet setup when your done ! ... bummer though, dropping over 2Grand you could get something prebuilt pretty darn close to that...just looked on newegg.com, they have almost the exact setup avaliable for $1,899 assembled but w/o a monitor...so just about the same comp, same price...but prebuilt. Just mentioning it because my buddy has been doing the back and forth thing trying to find the perfect setup like you but keeps considering just buying a pre-built for nearly the same cost

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Good stuff Ed, good stuff.
I was thinking aboot building a new one for myself this year.
I have been using Dell, and HP boxes now for for 3 years.
Need to build something new, and faster!!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Anyone updates on this "Wicked" machine Ed? I'm curious to see the Windows Experience rating in Control Panel/System on those components!

·
Registered
760 Posts
your pc is now better than mine:Rockin:

·
Registered
19,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone updates on this "Wicked" machine Ed? I'm curious to see the Windows Experience rating in Control Panel/System on those components!
I'll post my score/rating tomorrow evening when I get back home.

I did have one issue once I got the machine up... I started a 3D game for the first time and heard this buzzing noise which I initially thought was the video card. Turned out it was the power supply. As soon as the GPUs on video card went under 3D load it caused the coils in the PS to buzz... sounded like an EZ Bake Oven! Took it back to compusa and swapped it out for a Thermaltake "Black Widow" 850w and problem solved!

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Damn! Nice score! My lappy scores a 3.4, weak spot is a the onboard graphics. Either way, awesome pc!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Wow! Almost max scores for just about all the categories. Putting in another Raptor will definitely up that HD score! Very nice Ed.

·
Registered
780 Posts
lol, my window score on this work pc is 2.0... i want to shoot myself in the head everytime i try to load a webpage :(

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
SSD IMO is a big waste of money. I'd say a pair of 7200 rpm hard drives in raid 0 would give a decent speed boost.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts