DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come. My '98 ES has been starting to show her age... the factory clear coat began "pitting" about a year ago and it's been getting worse ever since. It's to a point now where I have quarter sized holes in the clear and many more (hundreds!) emerging "pits" or "bubbles" all over the car...

It's paint job time!!! ....but first, these vinyl stripes that I've been sporting around for the last 3 or 4 years have to come off. I've grown to love the look with the stripes, as many others have as well. It almost broke my heart to begin removing them from the car... and removing them wasn't easy either. Over the years, they got very brittle. I had to heat up the vinyl (with the GF's hair dryer) to be able to get any sizable pieces off at one time. And the vinyl left a nasty sticky residue on the paint... I'm still working on getting some of it off. It's a ***** even with GooGone. But I'm thinking... why don't I just sand it down with the rest of it? The clear HAS to be sanded down to the color coat at least.

Anyway, I'm taking this project on myself. This will be the very first car I've ever painted, but I'm not scared. I've been reading a lot, watching a lot of videos and talking to a few friends that do it for a living. I've also got you guys and RJ! (Trepcruzin) who painted his car and offered a lot of tips and pointers (thanks RJ!). Not to mention my grandfather, who
retired from 50 years running his own paint/body shop... so I kinda have it in my blood... grew up around it... seen it done a "couple" of times.

I'm not going to be doing some half ass job on this. This is my Intrepid... and it is my personal mission to produce a paint job on this car that is nothing short of stunning. This new paint job has to take the car to the next level...

Over the next few months, I'll be taking my time with it. The car will be parked in my garage which will be converted to a suitable paint booth. I'll have a 2nd car that I'll be driving (still working on this too!) So, there will be no hurry because while the car is parked... I'll be doing all four struts as well! (I'll probably do those first, before I actually start painting... my painting environment needs to be clean clean clean!)

Anyway here's where I'm at today... still removing the residue from the vinyl stripes... what do you guys think? Just sand right through it?

In this pic, you can see some of the clear coat issue that I'm having... the reason for this paint job. Those are the biggest holes. The rest of the hundreds of little ones are all over the car... about the size of a pencil lead to an eraser.

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
Ed i bet them stripes we one BIG PITA.....i see you used the heat gun on them....opps i forget to metion that would come in handy. I think you went the best way on them because sanding them stripes would have taken longer with a less then desirable out come...

Let me know if you need anything buddy:D

BTW sanding through the glue will get into the sand paper and loose grit quickly

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do... got you on speed dial!

What did you say a good grit would be to start cutting through this clear? 320?

And that prep product that you were telling me about on the phone?

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
Will do... got you on speed dial!

What did you say a good grit would be to start cutting through this clear? 320?

And that prep product that you were telling me about on the phone?
:doh: i'll get the name of the prep stuff tomorrow......

a roll of 320 what i used

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW sanding through the glue will get into the sand paper and loose grit quickly
Gotcha, yeah I was thinking it might gum up the paper. I'll continue with the goo gone or maybe find some kind of stripper. (and buy her some drinks? lol ohh it's late)

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant wait to see the finished product Ed, keep us posted!! Hope to see it at the meet!
Absolutely Sir! I hope to be showing it off at the meet. I can't just show up to Danlisle with guitar skills alone! lol

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think the general consensus is it wouldn't be my car without the stripes... so I think they'll be coming back in one form or another. I'm still playing with a few design ideas in my head.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cool. What about doing a pattern that starts out like plain stripes, then ends up in flame tips at the end of the hood and the back of the trunk? That would look kick ass and go along with the theme of you plenum

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all your prep work will be done dry........wet sanding is for when it's all painted
That's what I thought. I was looking at different papers tonight. Getting ready to start buying supplies...

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. What about doing a pattern that starts out like plain stripes, then ends up in flame tips at the end of the hood and the back of the trunk? That would look kick ass and go along with the theme of you plenum
Hmmm not bad... I can picture that! There's so many possibilities...

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a close up of my trunk lid. You can see all the little pits good here. 320 is going to cut through that RJ?

See why I want to paint my car guys? Anything will look better than that! ^^^

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
Ed check out the chrome video.....

look at the equipment this guy uses

320 is going to cut through that RJ?
you might have to step to 180 on that......just test it out with the 320 one spot and then test another with 180....with the 180 you'll need to go back over it with 320 to smooth it out

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
look at the equipment this guy uses

High tech! lol

you might have to step to 180 on that......just test it out with the 320 one spot and then test another with 180....with the 180 you'll need to go back over it with 320 to smooth it out
180... gotcha. Yeah I tried a little 320 on the trunk lid last night and I think I'd be there all day trying to get down through the clear with that. I'll have to go buy some 180.
Good Luck Ed. looking forward to seeing the finished product
Thanks David!

1 - 20 of 153 Posts