DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Glad to join the forum. Looking forward to gleaning knowledge for my project. I'm planning to convert a vehicle with an internal combustion engine to an electric vehicle. I've chosen to use a 2nd generation Dodge Intrepid, so watch this space..

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
With D Cell batteries?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With D Cell batteries?
LOL!
- D cell batteries may not be a whacky idea though. Tesla uses 18650 cells. You have six 18650 cells in a power tool, like a 19V Dewalt drill. Tesla uses more than six thousand of 'em.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why? There are plenty of electric cars to choose from these days.
Cost is an issue. A reasonably sized electric vehicle is the Tesla model S. A used model S costs from $35 to $75,000.
A model X costs even more.
Besides, the fulfilment of a self build is priceless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be careful. The voltage in those cars are no joke.
You're quite right. Preoduction electric vehicles run upto 440V.. Most self builds & conversions use the 96-144V range, but run a higher current, so you're point's well taken - safety first?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,
I asked a question in Performance/Modifications. It was about replacing the transaxle in a 2nd gen Intrepid with a simple front differential. Does anyone know if this is plausible?

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you plan to mate the motor to the differential? A short driveshaft, a custom adapter to bolt the motor to the differential? Any differential for an independent rear suspension could be made to work, do you have the capability to fabricate custom half shafts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you plan to mate the motor to the differential? A short driveshaft, a custom adapter to bolt the motor to the differential? Any differential for an independent rear suspension could be made to work, do you have the capability to fabricate custom half shafts?
Thanks for your response!
The motor will be mated directly to the differential. No clutch etc. The plan is to use a front diff from a Jeep or another Chrysler 4wd. I can't fabricate custom half shafts, but I may have to find someone who can.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Why do you need a 4WD/AWD drive train? What's the issue with the current Differential/Transmission that's stock?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
And this is going to be pure electric? How do you plan to defeat/bypass the PCM controls as there won't be an ICE in there? Lots of issues with the current electronics in the car stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why do you need a 4WD/AWD drive train? What's the issue with the current Differential/Transmission that's stock?
I don't need an AWD drive train actually. I just need a front differential to power the front wheels. The stock diff is part of the transaxle. I don't plan to use the transmission and I don't think you can throw out the transmission and still keep the diff in place. If there is a way to do it I'd prefer to keep the stock front diff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And this is going to be pure electric? How do you plan to defeat/bypass the PCM controls as there won't be an ICE in there? Lots of issues with the current electronics in the car stock.
Yes, it's going to be pure electric. Not too concerned about the PCM once the ICE is gone... As long as I have a solid stereo and good air conditioning I'm good!??

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
You won't have a speedometer without the TCM and it's sensors in the transmission.

Good luck with this one! !?? to you too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts