DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay..it started with me trying to get my radio to work right...now I think the problem is a bit bigger. Went to work on the car today, when I un-hooked the ground under the hood, I got small sparks, and the horn honked. when I replaced the connection, again sparks and the horn honked.
Other things...when the radio is on, you can get the speakers to pop, by clicking in the highs, pushing the brake pedal, flick on the wipers....
So I am assuming I have a ground problem......or a wire shorting some where.
as to the ground, I was told its under the dash, on the drivers side...but I cannot see anything that looks right..was looking for the radios, copper stranded wire. Any ideas???
Mike D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If you have the keyless entry system or OEM alarm the horn honk can be normal. The pops in the audio sound like a classic ground loop effect. You might want to make sure the braided ground strap is tightly connected to the rear of the radio. If it's not then the radio is grounding through the antenna shield. Not only does it add about 10' to the ground length it's not even a very good ground...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...have keyless entry and the oem alarm...checked the connection on the back of the HU, its tight....I just cannot seem to find the other end of it. Was told its down around the drivers feet............can not seem to see it....I am looking for a braided line,Right?.....
As to a amp, I just have the mid-line amp that is stock.
MikeD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts