DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people here own one of the elm 327 bluetooth OBDII adaptors sold online and at Ebay?

Also how many have seen them and not yet purchased one because they were not sure how well they worked?

I have one now, and find that the information it gives far exceeds all but some of the most expensive standard OBDII code scanners. The adaptors sell for about $30.00 each on ebay.
If enough people are interested I will post screen captures of the different kinds of data that you can get from it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a list of some of the data it can give you besides just the trouble codes.
* Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
* Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light).
* Display current sensor data, including:
* Engine RPM
* Calculated Load Value
* Coolant Temperature
* Fuel System Status
* Vehicle Speed
* Short Term Fuel Trim
* Long Term Fuel Trim
* Intake Manifold Pressure
* Timing Advance
* Intake Air Temperature
* Air Flow Rate
* Absolute Throttle Position
* Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
* Fuel System status
* Fuel Pressure

You can view all of that real time as long as the vehicles computer supports it.

These are screen captures of some of the data you can get with our cars.

I am unsure about whether it can read ABS codes and I have no ABS on my car to test that with.
The images are all from the Torque pro app available for android phones. There is also compatible software for Iphones and PC's that will work with the adapter.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My engine was only running for a few minutes while I took the screen captures, so all readings would be from a cold engine.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, with the Torque pro app it can get you detailed information from the web about your trouble codes. I use it with my android tablet and I have it installed on my phone too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also have the ELM327 reader, and it works like a charm. Got mine for $22 shipping included from a seller in Brooklyn. I'm told that some of these readers come in defective, so if you buy one, get it from a seller that will accept returns.

This adapter and the Torque application work great together. Though there's some goofy stuff in the application (like the 'eco meter'), the core function of reading and resetting trouble codes is well worth the $5 for the software and $20 for the reader.

One clarification on the screen shots above, the difference between the dark green and light green bars are what parameters your ECU is telling the OBD it supports - the lighter green being what parameters are available for a 'widget' to monitor. Not all cars send all codes. However, this system is very robust, at least from a layman's point of view.

I can't recommend this combination highly enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts