DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a spree, most likely because it's winter, to get the parts of my car clean that I can do. Because of that and a power steering leak, I'm going to clean off my engine, using Gunk or something similar. The power washer is already winterized, and I'm not going to buy a steam cleaner.

What all do I have to cover up, and what should I know before I shoot (warm) water into my engine?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Take the car for a short drive before degreasing...get the engine warm...not hot.

If your engine is pretty dirty get a couple cans of degreaser...you will go through one can in no time.

Use foil to cover the electronics, cover the air filter if you have a cone filter. For the most part everything is sealed and can get wet without harm.

Sppray on the degreaser liberally and let it sit for ~30 minutes...do it somewhere you don't mind dripping some oil/grease. Try not to get the degreaser on the exterior paint.

Use just hose water to spray it off...I would recommend against using high pressure...it does work better but be careful where you spray it.

Towel off any standing water.

Take the car for at least a 30 minute drive to burn off any water.

That is about it...if you are really afraid of the car not starting after getting it wet I have seen people do all of this with the car running.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, when you say electronics, what about the fuel injectors/wires under the plenum? Is there anything I'm forgetting here: Fuse box, distributor, the harnesses on the passenger side, and the other miscellaneous wires hanging about? 3.3 engine, btw.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Actually you are pretty safe not covering anything but just to be cautious I would cover the fuse box, distributer, and the harnesses on the passenger side. Don't worry about the fuel injectors/plenum. When you are rinsing off the engine just let the water flow...no high pressure...let the degreaser do the work not the water pressure. You are safe cleaning the engine, worse case if for some reason it does not start after washing just let it sit for a few hours to dry off and then start it.

I am not 100% familiar with the 1st gen engines so maybe someone else will chime in and confirm everything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luisa, do you know luisa is a girl's name in Spanish? Try contributing next time. The point I was trying to make was that I was scared to do it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
ChicagoTRS said:
Actually you are pretty safe not covering anything but just to be cautious I would cover the fuse box, distributer, and the harnesses on the passenger side. Don't worry about the fuel injectors/plenum. When you are rinsing off the engine just let the water flow...no high pressure...let the degreaser do the work not the water pressure. You are safe cleaning the engine, worse case if for some reason it does not start after washing just let it sit for a few hours to dry off and then start it.

I am not 100% familiar with the 1st gen engines so maybe someone else will chime in and confirm everything.
No need to cover anything on !st gen 3.3 (no mods). Do not use high pressure on any engine. make sure trans and engine oil dipsticks are fully seated. on passenger side on top of differential there is a vent tube, avoid shooting a lot of water at it, or cover the end of it if you wish.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Spyda Man said:
sensors!!! o2 sensors will be ruined.

really? I washed my engine at least once a month on average for 2 years. Still had all 4 stock sensors when i got rid of the car ('98 ES) with 130,000 on it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Personally i use a steamer to clean the gunk. High pressure steam will take anything off. Including paint of fenders...

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Spyda Man said:
sensors!!! o2 sensors will be ruined.
Anything under the hood, including sensors is at least weather resistant if not weather proof. Meaning it's designed to get wet. Most aren't designed to be hit with high pressure water, but residential hose pressure won't cause any long term problems. Remember the engine compartment isn't sealed, water does splash up from the bottom and drain around the sides...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Anything under the hood, including sensors is at least weather resistant if not weather proof. Meaning it's designed to get wet. Most aren't designed to be hit with high pressure water, but residential hose pressure won't cause any long term problems. Remember the engine compartment isn't sealed, water does splash up from the bottom and drain around the sides...
i degreased my engine and washed it down. turned it on got a check engine light flash, checked codes...o2 sensor

i drove the car for 3 weeks. checked codes. no more code. so did it fix itself ?

·
Registered
415 Posts
prolly dried out, lucky you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what do i know. i am just learning about o2 sensors. i was told to never spray any chemicals on them. i was told that. when i said the sensors would get messed up, i meant by the degreaser not water. db is very wise

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Castrol Super Clean, it works great, I myself have never covered anything but I have also never sprayed anything direct. After I degreased I use Meguiars Hot Rims on all the aluminium parts and the underside of my hood looks like new...

·
Premium Member
17,492 Posts
Reading the thread title, it would seem that it should have been broken into two threads. :)

·
Woober Goobers!
51,209 Posts
I use steamer for cars to clean it, it works wonders. Take the one that has warmth. Just steam all the details and you will be amazed at how effective it is.
After cleaning with steam, I realized that the motor is probably the dirtiest thing in the car.
Spam I Am ! Feel the warmth!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts